Gran Vals

Here's last nights performance of Gran Vals. Enjoy!

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,044Member
    Brilliant stuff again, Mark. My favourite guitar composer. I hear you've put some of your own interpretation into that - bit of tremolo, timing changes, a few altered notes and rests, one or two harmonics not in the original.

Message for Nick - Introducing one of our forum greats here, the wonderful Mark Hussey !
  • MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 100Member
    Haha, thanks Kevin. Yes you are quite right. Once I've learned a song I pretty much never play it the same twice. Its nice to be able to but I don't have the discipline. My mind wonders and so too do the notes. Still I play it as I feel it although it probably offends some of the stuffy classical people. I hope you are well my friend :)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 860Member

Message for Nick - Introducing one of our forum greats here, the wonderful Mark Hussey !

Thanks Kevin. You're right - a great indeed.
    Mark, this is amazing and beautiful beyond words. I wish I had your 'lack' of discipline! Your timing and precision are enough to make the Swiss jealous.
    Wonderful stuff!

Thanks Kevin. You're right - a great indeed.
    Mark, this is amazing and beautiful beyond words. I wish I had your 'lack' of discipline! Your timing and precision are enough to make the Swiss jealous.
    Wonderful stuff!
    Thanks guys, you make me chuckle. I'm pleased you enjoyed it. But no joke I spend hours every day figuring out how to time these things too. If I were a Swiss watch there would be more hours in the day to practice:)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,301Member
    Mark - when you play as well as you do I think you're more than entitled to interpret to the extent mentioned. I'd much rather hear someone playing with feeling than being note perfect and oh so very very dull. Stuff the stuffy classical people!!

Oh, and this recording makes for most enjoyable listening. Although also with a twinge of regret for never having got anywhere near these sort of levels when I played classical.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,956Member, Moderator
    Beautiful. I fell in love with that piece as soon as I started to learn it, many years ago. Wonderful playing.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Just beautifully expressive playing that puts a smile on my face (and makes me want a classical guitar).
    If you pick up the classical as a result of that it's the biggest compliment you can give me :)
    Good luck
    Such as you made me put it down, Mark. That's a greater compliment, I think. (It wasn't you that made me drop it, but the fact that I would never be so good.)
    I imagine if most put as much work in as I then my skills would be eclipsed by most. It's just hard work and time :)
    We have our natural limits, Mark, whereby the returns on effort diminish.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,663Member
    Very very good. Most enjoyable.

Interesting to read what you said about the hard work and time. It definitely pays off.