Yamaha SG3000

JockoJocko Posts: 6,999Member, Moderator
edited August 2016 in Guitar Chat
Saw a lovely Yamaha SG3000 on evilbay last night. Having played my boss' 1300 and 1500 I really fancy a Yamaha SG but I think they are a bit too rich for my pocket. With me retiring in 5 months I will have to satisfy my GAS before then, though I do not really need another guitar as my wife continues to tell me!

Comments

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,310Member
    They are very nice guitars indeed! cool

Made in Japan I think, so they will be a bit wallet emptying .... but I have a feeling that £ per unit of enjoyment they're a better value per £ than Gibbies. I might need to duck at this point. eek

Hopefully, maybe with the help of all the GAS inspired threads on this forum, you'll hone in on something at the right price level in the next five months.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,101Member
    Those Yam SG models do have a bit of an aura about them I agree. In my case I think is partly down to nostalgia for earlier days, and these were the unattainable guitars I saw in adverts in guitar magazines, and in the hands of better guitarists! I'd have an SG3000 every time, rather than a Gibby Les Paul... Another old '80s japanese model I like is the Ibanez AR series, like this http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2007/11-21-07/other/ibanez-artist-ar-100-sb-11-21-07.html . And I think Ibanez do a less-expensive version these days, probably made in China, but still has "the look" and might still be decent also. In the end I just don't need these guitars though, they don't have a sound I'd find particularly useful - so nice to muse about, but not for spending money on, in my case.

Something in the thinline, semi-hollow tele kind of style maybe Jocko? just throwing that one in as a thought.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 885Member
    yamaha made the SA2000 which is their take on the 335 semi but with coil taps. Like the SG2000 etc it is usually very good value for money and high quality. The yamaha sound is not the same as a Gibson (that may or may not be your thing) but they are often loved by their owners for the ease of playing and the build quality. Yammi SGs are heavy with a capital 'F' !!! Models range from the SC1000 SG1500 SC2000 & SG3000. Did I mention that they are Heavy?
    I think they are still doing the SA2000 ES - nice looking things! I sometimes get to use an Japanese made 80s Aria semi-acoustic (belongs to a lady singer I play with) and that is a lovely thing as well - ebony fingerboard, split block inlays, very nicely made indeed. Might be a TA-100 if I have the model number right - would have been the top of the range model I reckon.
  • TinyghostTinyghost Posts: 834Member
    Gibbo SG all the way...they're brilliant!
    But the yam is good too (by the looks and sound of it). I remember that early 80s feeling, seeing loads of pub rock bands led by decent players with yam sgs...they really were the standard back then...until everyone then decided to use strats (mainly because of Dire Straits etc). Only thing is they weigh a lot more than the Gibson SGs (I suppose they're sg/lp hybrids) so that would put me off), I love the fact the Gibbo is so light.
    However, if I were to get a different SG, it would be a guild. But then they're probably more costly than the Gibbos now.
    I would say a gordon smith SG (after seeing the vid etc) but the pics on the website are less than inspiring, just lacking the sexy edge. But still worth a thought.
    Nice choice tho Jocko.
    Originally Posted By: Megi
    I think they are still doing the SA2000 ES - nice looking things! I sometimes get to use an Japanese made 80s Aria semi-acoustic (belongs to a lady singer I play with) and that is a lovely thing as well - ebony fingerboard, split block inlays, very nicely made indeed. Might be a TA-100 if I have the model number right - would have been the top of the range model I reckon.
    Indeed they do, though now the SA2200 also the SG3000 - no point me asking the price at the moment lol.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,999Member, Moderator
    As I have said before. my boss has the SG1500 and the SG1300.
    Of the two I much prefer the SG1300 not least because I prefer the lighter colour.
    I still have my Gordon-Smith Gypsy 2 which is a wonderful guitar. It is the one I play all the time at home.
  • TinyghostTinyghost Posts: 834Member
    Oh I forgot you had a Gordon Smith, and actually that looks much cooler than the SG.
    That is my fav GS model. No...no GAS!
    Here are two recordings I have made. The first, "Sweet" was recorded using my Gordon-Smith Gypsy II,
    https://soundcloud.com/jockotaylor-1/sweet
    and the second, "Do It Now" using my new Shine SIL 510.
    https://soundcloud.com/jockotaylor-1/do-it-now
    For the bass I used my Peavey Milestone IV.

Both are exercise pieces from my lessons, with improvised lead parts.
    I am not making excuses (well I am really) but up until a year ago I only ever played rhythm and bass. Never ever imagined myself playing lead guitar or recording. As for posting on the internet! Never in my wildest dreams.
    ps. I am sober while doing this.
    Good to hear someone getting into the recording side of things. cool

If nothing else it's a great way of checking your progress and making sure what you're playing is anywhere near as good as it seems to be at the time of playing.

The cold light of day can bring a nasty surprise or two with listening back. But I don't think you need to worry on that score. Good to know you're able to do it sober too! smile

Having occasionally tried recording while under the affluence of incahol (hic!) I can confirm that nasty surprises are then much more likely.

Good work with your getting to grips with lead work too - like the melodic ideas and phrasing - doesn't sound like like your just playing scales which is a very easy trap to fall into. Look forward to hearing more.
    I didn't mean sober when recording, though I was. I meant sober when I posted on the Internet! Thanks for your positive comments Mark.
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 368Member
    Hijacking the thread a bit, but I wanted to comment on the home recordings Jocko. I like them, but I wish backing was a bit louder or the melody a bit quieter. The guitar tone in the middle of `Sweet' sounds better than it does at the start & end, but that's just my opinion.

Very different phrasing from my style that's for sure.
  • MintyMinty Posts: 23Member
    Stupid question time. What is GAS? I'm assuming its not a bodily function!!
    Originally Posted By: Minty
    What is GAS? I'm assuming its not a bodily function!!

Guitar (or Gear) Acquisition Syndrome. That uncontrollable urge to spend far too much money on far too many guitars and guitar gear (only to usually sell them later to fund the next bout of GAS). I sometimes sort of wish it was just a bodily function. grin

Originally Posted By: Jocko
    I meant sober when I posted on the Internet!

Ahh - I see what you mean - think I'm suffering slowness of the brain due to losing that hours sleep last night with the clocks change. grin
  • MintyMinty Posts: 23Member
    Ah cheers. I'm used to having that syndrome with motorbikes now it looks like it could soon be getting worse (better!) now I've taken up guitar playing.
    Parts were recorded as part of my tuition and the lead parts are the main focus of my tuition, hence their prominence. The parts use different effects to give different sounds so I appreciate why you have a preference. Personally I am not struck on any of the sounds, particularly.
    I record the guitar clean, direct to Reaper, then add the effects afterwards using Guitar Rig. Perhaps not the best way of doing it.
  • richcastlerichcastle Posts: 64Member
    Originally Posted By: Jocko
    As I have said before. my boss has the SG1500 and the SG1300.
    Of the two I much prefer the SG1300 not least because I prefer the lighter colour.
    I still have my Gordon-Smith Gypsy 2 which is a wonderful guitar. It is the one I play all the time at home.

i love the shape of those. They look a bit gibsonesque.

They are a bit pricey. Found one on the web and very expensive.

Do they play as well as they look?

Rich. Do you mean the Gordon-Smith or the Yamaha?
    I bought my Gypsy II for £275. It is a 1985 model and is a brilliant guitar. Though for the moment it has been displaced by my new Shine!!!
    That is the "cull" started. Today I parted with my Tanglewood electro-acoustic.

I gave it back to the original owner, who had given it to me for nothing. He gave me £40 to partly cover my outlay, but I got the enjoyment out of doing the work.

Only three more to go this round!
    Well done, not easy, what are the next 3 may I ask - I know a couple of squier strats, but what's the other one?
    My Strat/Tele hybrid is going to have to go too. I never ever got round to trying Nashville tuning on this one. Ah, well!

Well that's the "cull" complete. Last night I took my two Squiers along to my grandsons and gave them one each. They both seemed rather pleased.

The room looks awful empty. I wonder what to go for next!
    I do have a Tele neck going spare so another self build is on the cards.
    I have a set of Ironstone Platinum pick-ups sitting ready to go into my Stagg. I may just limit myself to that for the meantime!!

• LesterLester Posts: 1,611Member, Moderator
    Jocko, as we have only met online you come across as the guitar equivalent of a dog rescue centre, finding the abused ones, restoring them and then finding most of them new homes where they will be loved. Long may it continue and I hope you get an OBE for your efforts.
    Just bought myself a second Gator case, this time for my Squier Strat which is going into storage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002E3DGC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally bought one of these for the Jocko Trucaster and was so impressed with it I decided to go down that route again.
    Now I have my Fender Strat, the Squier is surplice to requirements, but as it is the earliest electric guitar I bought, in my current collection, it qualifies for heritage status.
    It has fairly new Elixir strings so I just gave it a quick wipe down and stuck it in the case. Think I will ask the mother-in-law if I can stick it in her attic. My music room/junk room is looking quite sparse at he moment with only seven guitars out on stands.
    You're giving me guitar case GAS now J! I notice that the Stagg has survived "the cull" also, despite having a strat type pickup arrangement, and presumably a strat-ish sound. So there must be something about that one you particularly like? Just interested.

I currently have 3 more instruments than I have cases - the two Shine SIL-510s share the same well-padded gig bag, and the parts-build tele and strat share a Hiscox case. And the Shine 5 string bass currently has no case at all. So I usually have two guitars plus the bass out to practice on. I think a purchase in the near future may be a gig bag for the bass, or maybe a hard case.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Jocko, if you haven't got one I really do suggest trying out one of the Classic Vibe range.
    With having an American Standard Strat and my high spec homebuilt Telecaster I do not see a Classic Vibe as being a useful addition to my collection. The Squiers I gave away were all well specced and set up.
    Graham. The Stagg survived because I loved it as soon as I saw it. Also, though it has three pickups it has one tone and volume control and you know how successful that works on the Shine.
    I fitted a quality neck when I first got the guitar and replaced all the electrics, including fitting Squier pickups.
    Last month I bought a set of Ironstone Platinum pickups for it and will fit these in the near future. It just looks a "pretty" guitar.
    What about the Jaguar though?
    Squier don't do a Classic Vibe Jaguar. Their Vintage Modified is not a million miles from my Stagg and I only really need one peculiar shaped guitar in my collection. smile
    Yeah, I realised that which is why I thought I'd deleted the comment!