GASing over the Ibanez RG721RW

2»

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,101Member

Nice looking strat body there - personally I don't mind things like the little knot, just adds individuality. And despite the 3-piece, it has a very even-toned appearance - I think I'd just finish that with a few coats of Tru Oil and match up some nice hardware and pickguard. Decent neck on there, and you'd have yourself a tasty guitar. But I really have to stop with the guitar projects, at least for a while. Do have fun, and will look forward to seeing where this one goes Bry.

edit: I see it's a non-pickguard body now, so just the hardware to source. Very nice anyhow.

• BryBry Posts: 652Member

I just missed out on a nice walnut tele body, they said it had a faulty neck pocket but the only thing I could see wrong with it was that one of the holes didn't go all the way through. That would have had no more than a bit of black dye around the edges and lashings of tru-oil.This one will get a bubinga veneer and the same black edges but possibly a lacquer finish, I'll decide when the veneer arrives. 

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,999Member, Moderator
    Originally Posted by Bry:

only thing I could see wrong with it was that one of the holes didn't go all the way through. 

It sounds to me that three holes were drilled through.  All my Guitarbuild bodies have come with the neck screws only drilled part way through.

After one coat of Tru-oil 23-1-14

Back after one coat of Tru-oil 23-1-14

There is a part of me that only has to look at a pic of a nice, newly obtained strat body, or something that's just been Tru Oiled like that one Jocko, and I am having strong urges to start another build. There is just something so enjoyable about the whole process... But I know I need no more solidbody guitars, and a nice new jazz box would be a better way for me to spend the money. image

Funny, but all the Guitarbuild bodies I've had have always had the neck fixing holes fully drilled through - I guess they vary though.

They do seem to vary going by those on Ebay, some drilled through and some are not.

Jazz box you say? Fancy one of these?

$_57 [2)

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,999Member, Moderator

Now THAT looks interesting.

^That does look like fun Bry, although I'm pretty set on the certainty of the trying guitars in a shop, and buying new, for this one. (Assuming, ha ha, that I am actually buying another guitar!  ]. You could certainly make yourself a pretty blond jazz guitar with that kit though - I wonder if it would work with a Tru Oil finish? And I guess I could upgrade the pickups, and...

Originally Posted by Megi:

And I guess I could upgrade the pickups, and...

I suppose at £150 it's probably safe to assume you'd want to, and if the postage wasn't another £33 I might have asked Santa for the kit, someTru-oil and a set of pick-ups to go with it.

They do a Gretsch inspired one too...

$_57

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

That is a bit tasty.  Judging by the picture though Bry, it looks like you have to also include the cost of providing your own nails to bang it together.  So you need to add another quid to the reason not to have it on your Xmas list.

Cheers, Reg.

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

That is a bit tasty.  Judging by the picture though Bry, it looks like you have to also include the cost of providing your own nails to bang it together.  So you need to add another quid to the reason not to have it on your Xmas list.

Cheers, Reg.

That'd be the real clincher, but I have a bit of a tube of NoMoreNails left over from an old Tele build image

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Well, in that case, if you've got half a tube of no more nails, it would seem churlish not to buy this.  I hate waste, and if it was me half a tube of NMN would really be nagging at me.

• Graham GeorgeGraham George Posts: 496Member

Several months late to the thread - like to keep up my standards . . .    with just a word of many years experience with full hollow bodied jazz guitars, it's this . . . 

Full bodied guitar with no sound block and Bigsby, I personally wouldn't go there after my experiences with exactly that combination. Not the guitar, but the Bigsby.  

I will certainly avoid Bigsbys I can assure you Graham. image

• Graham GeorgeGraham George Posts: 496Member
    Originally Posted by Megi:

I will certainly avoid Bigsbys I can assure you Graham.

I guessed that with or without that information you might! 

A Bigsby on a jazz guitar is a bit like putting a sound hole on a solid guitar!