Who can appraise my 62 super solid 3?

Ray PickupRay Pickup Posts: 5Member
edited August 2016 in Guitar Chat
Hi all. I am looking for someone in the north west of england who can appraise my 62 super solid 3. I have been thinking about selling it for a few years now but I have no idea what its worth. I haven't picked it up for around 5 years. If anyone here can help I have photos and plenty of info on it. I gigged with it for many years but could probably do with a service now.

Comments

• AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member
    Originally Posted by Ray Pickup:
    Hi all. I am looking for someone in the north west of england who can appraise my 62 super solid 3. I have been thinking about selling it for a few years now but I have no idea what its worth. I haven't picked it up for around 5 years. If anyone here can help I have photos and plenty of info on it. I gigged with it for many years but could probably do with a service now.

There are more knowledgeable folk than me here, but there's one here for $899.  Then again, one sold on ebay last year for £226.  Anyone else got an idea?

• Ray PickupRay Pickup Posts: 5Member
    Thanks for the reply.  The problem I am finding is according the selmers serial number, this an early 62 with double dot markers and clear headstock as opposed to the 63 v3 with double stripe markers and the black headstock. I haven't found another one to compare it to.  Do you think I should have a partial restoration. I.e refinish the body, polish metalwork and service the original parts. Or sell with its 50 years of use?
  • HobbioHobbio Posts: 21Member

If it was mine I would just get it playing right and sell it with the patina. You can buy a new guitar anywhere but 50+ years of genuine wear is a different matter.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,182Member

I think definitely don't re-finish, and as Hobbio says, just get it playing nicely - I think that approach would get you the best price too. Careful about using abrasive cleaners on the metalwork too - I'd say just clean it with a soft cloth, maybe a bit of naptha (e.g. zippo lighter fluid).

• Soft PluckerSoft Plucker Posts: 55Member

I don't think I could bear to part with a beauty like that!

In the very early sixties my mate bought one of the very first Watkins Rapiers mk1 models - the one resembling a Westbury not the Strat shape, it was £24!  I was green with envy.  Then a bit after there was a Dallas Tuxedo for £6 in the local junk shop, the mate tried to persuade me to ask for it to be put 'on one side' for me to pay weekly (we were only sixteen!) but I was too shy!

I now know the Dallas was the first British solid made just beating the Watkins by a few weeks and both are now worth a fortune! 

I know its ashame to see it go. But the bottom line is I have too many guitars. Like I said I haven't used it for quite a few years. And to be honest it doesn't really suit my rock blues playing. I would never dream of customising it just so I could carry on gigging with it. If any body wants to see more extensive photos I will put them up shortly and I will answer any questions honestly and consider any serious offers. I have no idea what it is worth to a collector or otherwise but I'm sure there is a magic number to suit.
    Atb ray
  • AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member

Yup - I agree with Megi and Hobbio.  Don't look to refinish.  Clean up (although looks in fine fettle) and set up is fine but the value is usually in the age and association, not in the item as a 'fine' guitar.

Andy 

Mate, if I had any spare cash I'd buy it in a heartbeat and stick it next to my modern Hofner. I think it's a wonderful looking thing, and the more I see old Hofners the more I'm drawn towards them. I really, really like that guitar and if I do, well then someone else with disposable income will too.

I'm amazed that you have no use for it to be honest, but each to their own. You're the one that's heard and played it extensively though, what do I know lol image  

I would like to see it played again and it would def suit a 60's player. Especially through an AC30 or similar. But I have over 20 guitars and limited space so I have to start somewhere. Dont misunderstand me I'm not in a big rush to sell it. Its just the sensible thing to do. It took me ages to decide to sell it. My wife thinks I should sell what she calls "the orrible gold one" but that wont happen whilst I'm breathing. Lol

Look - all you have to do is remind your wife of the guitarists' Golden Rule, "The correct number of guitars to own is the number you presently have + one!".

And no it didn't work for me either and I have the photos of myself with body, neck, strings and tail-piece wrapped around my neck to prove it!

What I'd like to know is - do lady guitarists suffer from 'guitar acquisition syndrome'?  And do their husbands inflict silent meals in retaliation as wives do?

Do you suppose Bonnie Raitt's hubby throws a tantrum whenever she comes home with yet another Stratocaster Bonnie Raitt Signature Custom Shop De-luxe?

• stateitstateit Posts: 55Member
    Originally Posted by Soft Plucker:

What I'd like to know is - do lady guitarists suffer from 'guitar acquisition syndrome'? 

Yes they do... My neighbours are GASsers and are co-dependent.  There's no stopping them.

I don't know what she's be like without him around. Just as bad a GASser I suspect.

My Mrs GASes for keyboards and pianos mate, the only reason we don't have more here is because there's nowhere to physically fit them in.

• SmartySmarty Posts: 403Member
    I watched Mark Knopfler's Guitar Stories recently, and the Super Solid was his first guitar (he still has it). It sounded great when he played but - then again, he could make a broom handle with spaghetti strings sound great. ....
    Originally Posted by Smarty:
    ...- then again, he could make a broom handle with spaghetti strings sound great. ....

I don't wish be offensive (really), but I don't accept a word of that, at all.  There are guitarists who know how to interpret the music they're playing better than us lesser mortals, no doubt about it, but Segovia himself could never make a Kay classical sound like a Ramirez and nor could Slash make an Argos Elevation sound like a Gibson Les Paul De-luxe!  Nobody can change the fundamental, intrinsic sound of an instrument.

Sorry but it needed to be said!

Apologies - I think you've misunderstood my point which is (as an example) Knopfler sounds great on any guitar....be it a 40 yr old Hofner or a modern day strat.
  • Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Might have to disagree.  When it comes to electrics I'd put it in order of guitar contribution 25%, amp and effects 40%, player 35%.  I'd keep that player figure for acoustic as well, and assign 25% for strings.

Give Slash and Clapton exactly the same set up and tell them to play exactly the same piece and you'd still tell which was which.

Give Carthy and Simpson they same acoustic and tell them to play the same piece and again you'd immediately tell which was which.  Fingers can make a guitar sound different.

Cheers, Reg.

• Phillip CoombesPhillip Coombes Posts: 8Member

Hi this was my first guitar i would like to buy for time sake. My old one was crap but I had happy memories with early band, 

if you still have it what is the price.

regards

phil

Hi. Yes I still have the guitar.. but I still have no idea what its worth. ..what area of the country are you in?
    Please send some pics and I am in Berkshire near reading.

I sold my hofner when I gave up in the mid 70 ,s.

Just for old time sakes I'd like the old hof back in my cupboard

What do you want for it.

I am assuming it still works and in playable order?

Regards

Phil Coombes 01344750790

Sent from my iPad air

> On 18 Oct 2014, at 16:19, Guitars.co.uk & Richards Guitars <alerts@hoop.la> wrote:
    >
    Looks just like my old axe and it's red, look I'd to buy it for old times sake where are you and is it player able and will it make sound like eric Clapton my old did........not.

Am I going to insult if I offered £150 cash.

Regards
    Phil

Sent from my iPad air

> On 18 Oct 2014, at 16:19, Guitars.co.uk & Richards Guitars <alerts@hoop.la> wrote:
    >
    Did you get. My last email I'm near reading in Berks were are you and I offered £150

Phil

Sent from my iPad air

>
    >
    >
    > guitarads.co.uk
    >
    >
    Do you want to sell the guitar?

Phil

Sent from my iPad air

>
  • RoadsieRoadsie Posts: 7Member

Hi All

Having recently been fortunate to visit the Gibson factory in Memphis for my 60th, I was inspired to get my old guitar out of the attic. It's a c1963 Hofner Model 172 Solid Electric that I bought in 1972 and it looks identical to Mark Knopfler's first guitar as shown on Sky Arts “Guitar Stories” (as discovered on this forum, thanks to Smarty).

I'm currently having it serviced by Alan Exley in Redditch (who some of you may know). The guitar hasn't been played for many years and is in near mint condition with all original parts intact. It even has its original fake snakeskin hard case (which is a bit worn and rusty but has served well).

IMG_20141013_155245-large

Once it's returned from Alan I intend to sell it, although I've had great fun being the proud owner of a vintage Hofner and researching the guitar's heritage. I've also met some interesting and friendly people so it will almost be a shame to leave the Hofner community!

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,169Member

What impression did you get of the Gibson factory ?  We've recently had links to how awful they are to work for. 

Originally Posted by Roadsie:

Hi All

Having recently been fortunate to visit the Gibson factory in Memphis for my 60th, I was inspired to get my old guitar out of the attic. It's a c1963 Hofner Model 172 Solid Electric that I bought in 1972 and it looks identical to Mark Knopfler's first guitar as shown on Sky Arts “Guitar Stories” (as discovered on this forum, thanks to Smarty).

I'm currently having it serviced by Alan Exley in Redditch (who some of you may know). The guitar hasn't been played for many years and is in near mint condition with all original parts intact. It even has its original fake snakeskin hard case (which is a bit worn and rusty but has served well).

IMG_20141013_155245-large

Once it's returned from Alan I intend to sell it, although I've had great fun being the proud owner of a vintage Hofner and researching the guitar's heritage. I've also met some interesting and friendly people so it will almost be a shame to leave the Hofner community!

Do you have to sell it? Fair enough if you do, but if it's just a case of  not really wanting it - I'd  hold  onto it. It's  only going to appreciate in value........and it does look very cool....!

I cant really comment, I was just a tourist. I didn't do the factory tour as it was a Sunday but in the shop I was allowed to pick up and play any of their guitars, none of which I could afford - great fun. It reminded me of Saturdays going to the music shop in town when I was a teen many, many years ago!

It's already been appreciating with me for some 40 years :-) . I think it deserves a new home and keeper to look after it for another 40. I intend to put the money towards a new electric acoustic.

I sent 3 reply stating it was the same as my old guitar it was crap but I wanted to replace it your was up for sale 

I offeed £150 for it if that not satisfactory how much do you want

phil Coombes near reading in berks.

o1344750790

Please reply asapp

phil