Am i doing it wrong?

FallenFallen Posts: 19Member
edited September 2016 in Technical or Theoretical Questions
I am struggling to improve my speed when playing scales.

I currently practice 65bpm with a metronome in 4s, 8, 12, 16 then go up by 3 so next step would be 68bpm and repeat process, I don't seem to be improving speed, am i doing it wrong?

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 6,999Member, Moderator
    Are you playing scales with the correct fingering? If so keep going at speed you have moved up to until you can do it properly. You say 4's, 8 etc. Do you mean quarter beats, eighth beats, sixteenth beats? (12's?) Practise each note variety separately. You may be able to play quarter beats at a higher bpm than eighth beat scales.
  • Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    Maybe look at how your picking technique is too...
  • FallenFallen Posts: 19Member
    Originally Posted By: Jocko
    Are you playing scales with the correct fingering? If so keep going at speed you have moved up to until you can do it properly. You say 4's, 8 etc. Do you mean quarter beats, eighth beats, sixteenth beats? (12's?) Practise each note variety separately. You may be able to play quarter beats at a higher bpm than eighth beat scales.

Yes i play the scale 65bpm at 4th notes then once i feel i can do this smoothly I go to 8ths at 65pm etc.

Am i doing this right or should i just stick on 4ths and up the bpm 10 everytime until i can play 120bpm or higher at 4ths.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,999Member, Moderator
    That's fine, but if you can play the 4ths at 65 but not the 8ths, then up the speed for 4ths but keep the 8ths at 65 bpm until you can do them easily.