Wah wah woes

richcastlerichcastle Posts: 64Member
hi.

For about 5 months I've had one of the above linked up as follows guitar-cry baby-ds1 distortion-amp (fender frontman 10g)and in the past couple of days whenever I activate the wah wah the volume coming from the amp drops. I've changed the battery, checked connections etc but no change. I've read elsewhere about modding the wah wah, true bypass etc, but no joy.

Can anyone help?

thanks.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,567Member, Moderator
    Some pedals have adjustable internal controls - there's an example in the recent wah pedal topic. Maybe the Cry Baby has one for volume so that you can balance the clean and effected signals.
  • Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    Take the DS-1 distortion out of the chain and see if the volume drop still happens.
  • richcastlerichcastle Posts: 64Member
    Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    Take the DS-1 distortion out of the chain and see if the volume drop still happens.

Tried that, but no difference.

I spoke to my local guitar shop and they said I could bring the unit into them for testing (I didnt buy it from them, but I'm a regular customer there) and they also advised me to try online for a solution, but all I can seem to find is as I've put in the above messages. I'm loathe to take it apart as I'm no whizz with electronics.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member
    It's normal for a stock crybaby, and inherent to the way the switching works in the stock circuit. I highly recommend the True Bypass mod- it completely fixes the problem in my experience.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    Are you using a battery, and if so have you replaced it?
    If it's giving you gyp and you can afford to take a loss on it then why not have a look at the the true bypass mod and maybe consider giving it a go yourself?

You get a kick when you find out you can do that kind of stuff after all...

Maybe sticky has a link to a join the dots version of doing that mod?
    Originally Posted By: Jocko
    Are you using a battery, and if so have you replaced it?

Tried that. Also using correct mains adaptor.
    Originally Posted By: stickyfiddle
    It's normal for a stock crybaby, and inherent to the way the switching works in the stock circuit. I highly recommend the True Bypass mod- it completely fixes the problem in my experience.

Many thanks. It seems the only way. Can you recommend/help with how to do this? what equipment/parts do I need to do this?
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    I thought True Bypass only affected the effect's "bypassed" mode. Rich says the volume decreases when the effect is activated. To me this sounds like - as Lester intimates - a function of the effect. As if the Cry Baby is not turned up enough. Or is it just me (and Lester).
    Have you had the back off the pedal yet?

If I remember correctly there may be two little pots in there to control various things,maybe an adjustment to one of them will do the trick?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member
    Originally Posted By: Jocko
    I thought True Bypass only affected the effect's "bypassed" mode. Rich says the volume decreases when the effect is activated. To me this sounds like - as Lester intimates - a function of the effect. As if the Cry Baby is not turned up enough. Or is it just me (and Lester).

Ah.. quite right! In that case I'd have the back off and see if there are any trimpots in there. A pot for Gain is the first thing that gets added, otherwise it could be modded for extra volume if really needed.

Before doing anything drastic are you certain it's not just how your amp's EQ is set that's causing the difference? Wahs by definition cut and boost certain frequencies- could it be that those boosted by the pedal are getting reduced again by the amp?
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 368Member
    This was the reason I sold my Crybaby and bought the Fulltone Clyde Delux. THe Dunlop just always sounded weak.

I'd also suggest running a compressor after the wah.
    There is no loss of wah wah effect-just the reduction in volume. I have always used the same amp and guitar. The settings on these that I used a couple of days ago when the wah wah worked ok are the ones that i am using when I encountered the volume issues with the pedal.

I have e-mailed jim dunlop tech support and will take the back off the pedal and see whats what.

I returned the pedal to Amazon and got a brand new replacement sent out the same day.