Explosive Cyclogenesis

JockoJocko Posts: 7,035Member, Moderator
edited August 2016 in Totally Not Guitars
Waiting concernedly to see what this Explosive Cyclogenesis brings us over the next few days. They say we get two or three of these every year, but I am an avid weather watcher and I have never seen a synopsis chart quite like it. We certainly didn't have a chart like it for last years storms.For today they are forecasting terrible gales for Edinburgh around noon, and where do I have to go at noon? That's right, Edinburgh. The worst seems to be forecast for the west coast of Scotland for tomorrow so it is just a case of wait and see, and according to the newspapers we are in for three weeks of "weather hell".

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,153Member

Hadn't heard about this! Go carefully Jocko - if the weather gets really silly, sometimes the safest thing is to admit defeat and stay put for a while. image

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,035Member, Moderator

Wind was bad but the rain was worse.  As we came home, the Forth Road Bridge was closed to high sided vehicles, caravans, trailers and motorcycles.  The speed signs were flagging 40.  What passed me?  A learner on a scooter, doing about 50!

Just back from taking my wife to her work and conditions are appalling. The streets are full of debris. Wheelie bins, traffic bollards and branches, mainly. The rain is horrendous and the standing water is building up. My house is frozen and even though the storage heaters have been on all night the temperature is only up to 15'C. And the worst is yet to come.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,153Member

Batten down the hatches I reckon. Weather in Grimsby is currently cold, sunny, and with a brisk wind, but obviously nothing like you've got further north. Take care anyhow! image

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

It's glorious in Northampton!

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

It was a bit breezy in West Berkshire yesterday evening, but calm now and the sun is shining.

Hope that makes you feel better

If it doesn't I'll add in the fact I'm sat on my backside in front a a PC at work with no change in prospects for the next eight hours.  If the local Berks weather report didn't cheer you up, that should.

Cheers, Reg.

Well the winds have finally dropped but I woke up during the night to loud, rolling thunder, followed by heavy rain sleet and snow. When I took Mrs J to work this morning the thin layer of snow, that was everywhere, had frozen into hard slippery ice. Main roads were not too bad but the pavements were a nightmare.

I believe it is the turn of the South to bear the brunt of the wind and rain today.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

A bit breezy in West Berkshire, but nothing untoward at the moment.  Sun shining currently.  Sat on my backside at work in front of a PC with no change in prospects for the next 8.5 hours.

It's been interesting to watch the barometer from where I am.  I was expecting a massive drop in pressure to a real low.  But what actually happened was the pressure was abnormally high and then it dropped suddenly to normal.  Thinking about it storms caused by weather fronts work on differential pressure so that could be high to normal as well as normal to low - I was just a bit surprised by it at this time of year.  Maybe that's what makes this a strange sort of storm?

Cheers, Reg.

Seemingly an Explosive Cyclogenesis is a storm where the pressure drops by 24mb in 24 hours at a latitude of 60 North or above. According to Carol Kirkwood, we get two or three every year.