Squier Strat p/u selector switch isn't working properly

I have a handy Squier Strat but the p/u selector switch isn't working properly, i.e. you have to wiggle it about to set it then it sometimes goes silent.  Can  you remove the scratch-plate and tighten the connections or is a new one required?

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,065Member, Moderator

A spray of Servisol switch cleaner, through the slot, may do the trick.  If you are going to the bother of taking the pick guard off you are as well changing the switch.

£6.50 from Axetec.

• Soft PluckerSoft Plucker Posts: 55Member

Thanks for that - when the guitar is ready for new strings I'll take the pick-guard off and see what's what - you never know sometimes a bit  of a clean does the trick!

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,065Member, Moderator

Servisol from Amazon. £9.63

Amazing stuff.  First came across it back in the 60's.  Absolutely swear by it.  Get a tin, spray it through the switch slot as you work the switch back and forth.  May negate the need for removing the pick guard.

• stateitstateit Posts: 55Member

Half the price for larger tins at a lot of electrical trade counters. But then you don't get it delivered to your door.

I was given a 16-channel mixing desk once cos the owner thought it was unserviceable. A lot of squirts of switch clean later... An over sized but fully working desk for the local am-dram.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,182Member
    Originally Posted by Jocko:

Servisol from Amazon. £9.63

Amazing stuff.  First came across it back in the 60's.  Absolutely swear by it.  Get a tin, spray it through the switch slot as you work the switch back and forth.  May negate the need for removing the pick guard.

Nice recommendation, cheers Jocko! image

• Soft PluckerSoft Plucker Posts: 55Member

At the moment it's ok - I risked a squirt of WD 40 which seems to have done the trick but I think they have Servisol in our local Maplins.  I'm told WD 40's not good.

My local music shop have quoted £20 for fitting a new switch.  I'll see how I get on with Servisol.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

WD40 primary function is water dispersal.  While oil based it can provide short term lubrication, and also longer protection for semi permanent metal to metal connected surfaces (e.g. the threads on nuts and bolts).  However, it's not much use for electrical components as it tends to evaporate and leave behind a slightly sticky residue that will then collect dust and dirt.  So I'd take Jocko's advice and get a purpose made switch cleaner in there.

Cheers,  Reg.