T-type build (yes, another one)

Two builds on the go at the moment, an S-type, and this, which is probably the more ambitious in terms of work needed. It's a thinline tele (sorry T-type), which is basically in the classic 1969 model style (I particularly like the scratchplate shape) but with a humbucker size pickup in the neck slot (I will be using a GFS Surf 90 Dynasonic style pickup). The body has been made to order by "GSP Basses" (nice chap on another forum) from ash, and is fully chambered i.e. a chamber each side, plus a small one below the bridge. The neck is a one piece maple, with a nice bit of subtle flame, from Northwest Guitars - I bought it a while back, thinking to use it on something else, but never got round to that one. Bridge unit is a Gotoh, with brass saddles - it's basically the traditional type, but with the sides lowered to give better picking access. Oh, and the bridge pickup will be a Mojo Broadcaster type - I bought this second hand but unused on another forum for a bargain £25. White pearl scratchplate, nickel plate hardware. And it's going to be blue - I was thinking a dye and Tru Oil, but have decided to go with a Wudtone Azure Blue kit, as this nails my ideal colour.

Pics:-

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,190Member
    More pics:

The time-honoured Megi getting things lined up procedure. In the end I had to slightly enlage the pickup cavity on one side to get things to work nicely. There was also a bit of careful sanding of the neck pocket sides needed. All good now though. :)

More to come - I've now got all the hole-drilling done (important to get these in the right places) so am waiting for the Wudtone finishing kit to arrive. :)
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,075Member, Moderator
    Looking good. Wish our build was going as smoothly. Mrs Jocko just started Chemotherapy, and mother-in-law is needing a lot of care. Add to that the fact my grandson is in Edinburgh most of the week so getting together is an issue.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 941Member
    Oh yes, that looks nice. Quality work as ever.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,190Member
    Thank you Jocko and ES. :) Sorry to hear re Mrs Jocko, I really do wish her all the best, as I'm sure we all do. Hope you can get the build going again though - I always feel the thing is to keep doing a bit, even if not very much - just keep going, one thing at a time, and it will get completed. Do understand the demands on your time though (speaking as someone with two elderly parents) and of course some things have to take priority.