Writing a book to help people learn guitar

I'm seriously considering joining the club and writing my own guide to getting started on guitar. The only thing is, there is so much out there already and it will be a huge investment of time. To make it really worthwhile, can you think of anything you'd like to see included that isn't already easily found in other books? Your advice is most welcomed

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,665Member, Moderator
    edited August 27
    Mark, I have been thinking about your question for a few days but so far I cannot think of anything that cannot be found elsewhere. There are tuition books, there are books that come with an audio CD or a download link, books that come with a DVD, or DVD courses that come with a book and a web site or YouTube or private web site video links, some complete with the author on hand, whether that be through a forum or regular online videos to support the book and its readers.

Maybe my questions would include: What was it that made you think about writing your own guide? And what are you hoping that its buyers would get out of it; ie. what would they be able to accomplish better (or only) through having your book?
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 953Member
    Great answer Lester.

How about something more practical than learning scales and tunes that you don’t want to learn? I’m thinking along the lines of a guide to playing in a band. The strapline could be that it would get you learning what you need to know to be in a band - genuine, practical learning. Not scales for the sake of it, although there would have to be some but they could be interspersed between songs and chords. Other than learning typical progressions, solo ideas and chords, The book could also cover how to play what you hear, listening to others in a band, what amps to buy (minefield!), the Roman numeral system, how to play a solo with fewer than 10,000 notes (which is what we think it takes when we’re starting out!....
    Don’t know if that’s a good idea or not, but just came to me.

If you sell a million, include my name in a short footnote :)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 934Member
    Mark,

Forgive me if you are already doing this.

I think you need to get with the kids (as they used to say in my day). In todays world and for the forseeable future online youtube is the thing. It has the ability to earn you income going forward and you can build your catalogue a bit at a time, therefore you can stop and start without huge impact as long as you haven't got 10,000 pupils waiting for the next lesson.
    I understand some Kind of joined up face ache and insta ounce as well as youtoob presence gets you exposure and therefore income. So the secret might be a good understanding of those features (and others?), as well a screen personality with desirable content!
    You can create affiliate links to suitable products, your own merchandise, and maybe sell a .pdf pamphlet rather than a full on book.

As you say there market is fairly full, and the time investment in a book will still be dependent on your online presence, so why not concentrate on that aspect instead.

Again sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,169Member
    edited August 27
    I don't think books are the way any more. My own retailers tell me tuition books hang around the shelves for years. What would interest me is something similar to the Mavis Beacon touch typing course which I did years ago and which got me to the secretarial speed I use now.

You could have your guitar midi'd to the computer playing games with things such as scales. The program analysing performance and giving a report on accuracy - each attempt challenging you to go faster. I recall you learned to touch type by trying to beat a car in a race.

I know this is not 'musical' but nor can a book be musical, nor commercial with the amount of up-front costs to produce it.
  • MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 112Member
    Thanks for your comments. The reason I wanted to write something really was because I feel that often tutorials both online videos can be dogmatic and can discourage students where there are sudden leaps in level. My aim is really to inspire and show that even learning at a later stage in life, can be very rewarding