Reasonably priced acoustic.

JockoJocko Posts: 7,075Member, Moderator
My wife's grandson is wanting a quality acoustic, and has started saving up for one. He would love a Taylor, but realises that would take too long to save for on pocket money. What would you guys recommend he look at?

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 781Member
    I've always rated both Yamaha and Washburn's low end acoustics
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 941Member
    Sigma have a good reputaion for almost copies. They were owned by C F Martin for a while and their Martinesq guitars are very good (not just for the price).
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,178Member
    edited July 8
    Vintage V300MH - an utter steal at £170 and winner of best guitar under £1000 one year by The Guitar Magazine.

It has certainly cured my GAS.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,075Member, Moderator
    I suggested Vintage, going on your previous recommendations. I'll push him in that direction.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 954Member
    edited July 11
    The naked Faith models sound amazing. Not as cheap as Vintage though, but still great value for money at around £300.
    Has anyone here tried Harley Benton acoustics? Their electrics have such great reviews, I’m curious how their other lines measure up.

Eating fewer vegetables cured my GAS.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,075Member, Moderator
    I tried naked Faith when I was looking to buy my Larrivée, and was suitably impressed. A lot of guitar for the money.
  • Pete_BPete_B Posts: 562Member
    I would always go Yamaha, purely for the quality, but I do like Faith.
    There is no Mojo!
    edited August 14
    True. The build and QC is unsurpassed at Yamaha. I find, however, there is a mysterious quality called Mojo which is why I wouldn't go for Yamaha. I find them quite generic and there is nothing wrong with that. They are very precise and competent guitars but lack something characterful that is now affordable in their price range that wasn't in the '80s when I bought one. They were the best affordable guitar... then, a bit like Ovation were too.

I've never played a £1000 plus Yamaha to compare.

They are very precise and competent guitars but lack something characterful that is now affordable in their price range

I've never played a £1000 plus Yamaha to compare.

That price range varies from £120 to £6700
    There is no Mojo!
    The reasonably priced Yamaha acoustics are what would be found in school music departments alongside the Pacificas. A sensible choice, I agree.
    I'm keen to have a look at one of those ARE treated Yamahas to see if what they say is true about artificial wood ageing. Not available in the lower price range though.
    edited August 17
    A few makers seem to be doing it nowdays including Atkin, ok not on topic of reasonably priced but sounds good
    There is no Mojo!
    Wow ! Now those have mojo ! They really do sound old.