Angus Young

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,143Member

One of my guitar heroes.

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 939Member
    Back in Black sounded huge the first time I heard it. I can’t say I’m a huge fan but I do appreciate their rawness and simplicity.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,143Member
    I think he's one of the rock guitar greats. He uses nothing but overdrive as a guitar effect.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,153Member
    I went to Donington Monsters of Rock in '84, '85 and '86 - AC/DC headlined in '84 - I had gone largely to see Van Halen who were penultimate on the bill, and that was wonderful, but I will not forget the experience of seeing AC/DC headline - they were just an amazing live rock band. Angus Young I think has something in his blood - I'm not sure he could explain what he does, it's just kind of a force of nature. I have remained a fan ever since anyhow.

• LesterLester Posts: 1,658Member, Moderator
    It must seem unbelievable that whatever AC/DC I have heard does nothing for me at all.
    Tastes vary, quite legitimately Lester. We're all different, and respond to different things. So not unbelievable, or unreasonable at all. There are things in music that do nothing for me, that some of my friends are incredulous about, but it's just how it is.

I'm just remembering I went to Donington in 1990 as well - looked on a Wikipedia article about the concerts, and Whitesnake headlined that year, which I do have a memory of - they had both Steve Vai and Adrian Vandenberg on guitars.
    One of my favourite artists, Mark Kozelek, recorded an album of AC/DC covers done with acoustic guitar arrangements that I found very lovely...

AC/DC "lovely"
    Not sure the two go together on a highway to hell.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,697Member
    edited March 11
    I went to Monsters of Rock in 81 - AC/DC were headlining then, too, but I can't recall hardly anything of it. I do remember Blue Oyster Cult were awful and Slade were great.

I used to be into AC/DC back in the day (well, around 81, I guess - which I why I was at the gig. Plus Blackfoot(*) were on the bill and I've always been a sucker for Southern Rock) but it's a long time since I listened to them, though a few years back I did transcribe the solo from "You Shook Me All Night Long" and I recall thinking how well formed and perfect a rock solo it was.

(*) In one of those nice dreams-comes-true tales, the friend I went to Monsters of Rock with, many years later jammed on stage with Ricky Medlocke of Blackfoot.

Derek
    edited March 11
    I went to a Kaiser Chief's gig and Ricky Wilson ran out into the audience and stood right beside me, singing. The thing is that I was so drunk I can't remember it at all. My wife told me it happened the next day.
    edited March 12
    And while we’re talking metal, here’s a Metallica tune I can stomach!
    That whole Pat Boone album is brilliant!

And while we’re talking metal, here’s a Metallic tune I can stomach!

Still funny, and brilliantly done. :D
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,697Member
    Excellent.