Mic choice for classical and acoustic guitar?

MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 109Member
I was just wondering what you all think about mobile phone mics for recording guitar v's more expensive pro mics.
To my ears, and i have to be honest, I am finding that mobile phones offer a more accurate representation of the actual sound of the instrument. Does anyone else share this opinion? I'm even considering using mobile phones to record my next album lol. I'm just, saying what i hear.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,658Member, Moderator
    Mark, if you could send me a recording (between 30 seconds and a minute would be ample) I would be happy to listen to it and comment accordingly. I will give you my email address in a PM.
  • MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 109Member
    Thanks man, I got your message. I'm away from home at the moment, but when i get back I'll record an example for you :) Could be a while, you know me lol
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 920Member
    edited March 6
    I think mobile phone mics and cameras have a bit of processing to 'emulate' a better image, like zoom when the lens doesn't move etc.
    Thats not to say that it doesn't sound good, it's just that it might not be a pure sound to which you can process as you feel fit.
    The old school microphones made in the 50s and 60s were designed to give the best mechanical to electrical transfer possible, so the Neuman U87 which even today is over £2k is manufactured to very high standards.
    There are a few online articals about Lester Smith who was a sound engineer in Abbey road back in the day, he is now the archivist and keeper of microphones and a font of all knowledge on the finer points. it doesn't answer your question but if you like a technical read it's quite something.

This is worth a look
    https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/abbey-road-mic-collection-sylvia-massy
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,146Member
    Getting to the point where it's "Do I put the money into a better phone or buy a dedicated mic/recorder ?"

Phones have made amateur video cams virtually obsolete.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 944Member
    edited March 9
    Has anyone here used plugin mics with a mobile phone? I’m thinking of something like the IK Multimedia iRig Mic Cast.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmiccast/
  • MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 109Member

Has anyone here used plugin mics with a mobile phone? I’m thinking of something like the IK Multimedia iRig Mic Cast.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmiccast/

I can honestly i didn't liked the original iRig and stayed away from it since. Mind, i wouldn't mind experimenting more
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 944Member
    edited March 27
    Good to know, Mark. Thanks for sharing. I know that Shure make an iOS mic too. I think it’s deifnitely worth investing in to so you can choose a space to record in rather than recording where your gear happens to be. I once recorded a friends acoustic guitar in a large hard surfaced room that had some lovely natural reverb. That was with a laptop, though. I’ve always wanted to record vocals in a field to get rid of all reflections. I’m not sure if the wildlife would appreciate it though.