Have you ever seen a dry fretboard?

I was staying with friends last weekend and they handed me their Santos Martinez SM80 classical guitar to play. The strings were obviously old and yucky. In the low evening light I said that the fretboard was dirty but then the next day I could see that the exposed wood fibres are giving it that rough feel. My goodness, I have never, ever seen such a dried out fretboard as this one.

They wanted my advice as they want to sell it as it was their son's guitar and he has now moved abroad and left the guitar behind. So, I brought it home with me and will return it on my next visit. A good clean all over, polished frets, oiled fretboard and new strings and helped return this guitar to closer to how it should be. The fretboard feels a whole lot better but not perfect.

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 935Member
    A little care and attention or 'maintenance' of your chosen instrument goes a long way. These days there are lots of online resources as to how this should be done, but people still ignore it and accept the consequences.
    Well done for rescuing a nice guitar.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,182Member
    Good work there Lester, that does look a whole lot better. At the moment, rosewood fretboards seem increasingly rare, due I think to the CITES rules that came in. Apparently these will be relaxed for musical instrument purposes, but that won't take effect for a quite a while. As ES says, they should be looked after, but indeed are often neglected.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,169Member
    edited March 2
    It needs giving to a keen teenager.

It'll get hours of playing and copious deposits of blood and grease (and other yucky deposits) to revitalise it.

If it's like my lad's student accommodation it won't see any furniture polish.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 935Member

It needs giving to a keen teenager.

It'll get hours of playing and copious deposits of blood and grease (and other yucky deposits) to revitalise it.

If it's like my lad's student accommodation it won't see any furniture polish.

Good, back in the 70s we knew no different and Mr sheen was applied to a couple of my guitars. It took more effort to get off the silicon than it saved in cleaning it properly in the first case even though they were poly finished. I don't recall seeing proper 'guitar polish' products in the shops I frequented back in the day, anyway every hard earned penny went on strings and picks.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 953Member
    You do some wonderful things Lester :)
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,665Member, Moderator
    Thank you for the compliment, Nicholas. In fact, I am the one who has benefitted from doing a friend a favour: it got me thinking more about my classical guitar, the one that has been sawn in half and had a pickup added (click here for that story) and what I could do to improve it. Last week I replaced the tuners with these nice, quality Rubner tuners, smoothed the ends of the frets, put high tension nylon strings on it and on their way to me in the post are a tusq nut and tusq saddle.

:-)
    Cor lovely tuners. I really like tusq too. That guitar is going to be stunning in no time. You are going to share a video, right!? Or at least pictures?
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,665Member, Moderator
    I will, Nick.

The saddle and nut arrived today. The nut is not tall enough so I have ordered a different one.
    Oh that’s frustrating! Mind you, so is cutting a nut too low or just wrong somehow. I have a box of broken nuts that I’m sure must have a use!