2019 pedalboard

LesterLester Posts: 1,627Member, Moderator

Here's my new pedalboard I put together this last week. It came about because my wife and I have been invited to join the team that will launch a new church in Bratislava, Slovakia's capital city, some 330km (200 miles) away. To keep things compact, I will use the electro-acoustic parlour guitar I bought from Richard's Guitars through just two pedals - a Bodyrez (a lovely one-knob compressor and EQ) and a reverb pedal, straight to the PA. I made the pedalboard from a piece of hardboard I had lying around with added velcro and strips of rubbery door seal for feet.

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 895Member
    Nice and slick! So does your wife play too? 200miles sounds like quite a jaunt for a Sunday morning. Now that’s commitment:)
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,627Member, Moderator
    Miriam, my wife, does indeed play; she is a piano player and teacher. In the photo we were performing together at her school's end of the school year concert in 2016. We play regularly (twice a month) in a local group where Miriam plays keys and I play drums alongside a guitarist, a bassist and a trumpet player. You are right, Nick, 200 miles is a hike and a commitment but it will be just once a month for now. It has me intensively transcribing and learning songs on guitar which is great.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 895Member
    That sounds wonderful. How ideal to be able to play in a duo with your wife. I think you’re truly blessed. My wife plays saxophone (just passed grade 8) but we don’t play together too often. We keep meaning to change that, but one day we will. It’s all about time, priorities, all that stuff.
    Anyway, congrats Lester!
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,627Member, Moderator
    edited January 16
    Yesterday I was messing about with playing my parlour acoustic through this new little pedalboard and into an Alto TS110 powered speaker and had an idea for a DIY soundhole plug (based on those rubbery covers to reduce feedback problems) as the only ones I found online do not ship to Slovakia.

This morning I had some free time so I set to with stuff I have lying around the flat, starting with a piece of foam, from which I cut an 80mm circular piece.

I then covered that with a piece of an old black t-shirt, not that it looks black in this photo.

So, this is my parlour with the strings loosened, ready to put my plug in place ...

... and this is how it looks with the plug in place.

This is how much it protrudes above the soundhole; it sits just a bit lower than the fretboard.

I like the new sound, with less treble coming from the guitar itself while the reverb pedal adds treble and the FRFR speaker leaves the acoustic to sound more natural. It feels like I have a hybrid guitar, by which I mean I can now play it as I would my electrics and yet I still end up with an acoustic sound, albeit enhanced by having a compressor and reverb added. I will have to wait a fortnight until I start using it live to really know how well it works.

In the meantime, back to transcribing songs I need to be learning.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 895Member
    That looks like a fantastic solution, well done.