Black Friday - Pah!

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,684Member
Well aside from buying some perfume for SWMBO at 50% I must confess I'm tremendously disappointed with Black Friday. I've searched on the guitars, cameras, push-bikes, and fishing rods that I'd be interested in buying if they were discounted to the expected Black Friday degree. And... none of them are. I don't think it's aimed at the likes of me. :-)

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,115Member
    I know what you mean Derek, it's a bit of a dodgy concept in general - buying things one wouldn't otherwise have bought, just because they're cheap. That said, I have treated myself to a couple of things today, although I don't think either was reduced for Black Friday - one is a really flash gig bag for my Ibanez semi-acoustic (a Gruv Gear GigBlade if you want to look them up) , and also I've ordered the latest release from an artist I'm a fan of, on vinyl no less, which will be posted from the US. So perhaps the retail therapy sale bug got me all the same.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,618Member, Moderator
    Black Friday in the UK is the last Friday before Christmas. I believe the tradition started because miners would go Christmas shopping straight from work, without washing first.

Do we need to import a US retail day that also happens to be called Black Friday?

The only thing I bought today was lunch and a stamp to post a letter.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 891Member
    I’m blessed that I can afford what I need, so everything else is just gravy (or more like the Bordeaux in the gravy).
    It’s just stuff.
    We’ll live without it!
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 891Member
    Megi said:

I know what you mean Derek, it's a bit of a dodgy concept in general - buying things one wouldn't otherwise have bought, just because they're cheap. That said, I have treated myself to a couple of things today, although I don't think either was reduced for Black Friday - one is a really flash gig bag for my Ibanez semi-acoustic (a Gruv Gear GigBlade if you want to look them up) , and also I've ordered the latest release from an artist I'm a fan of, on vinyl no less, which will be posted from the US. So perhaps the retail therapy sale bug got me all the same.

My own piety aside, I’m all for retail therapy. It’s always cheaper than real therapy, which is often needed anyhow!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,088Member
    I had a look too but garden gnomes and lederhosen weren't on offer.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,312Member
    I managed to miss out on a lot of the Black Friday cr*p due to moving house just over a week ago, and only having minimal internet access until two days ago.

I'm glad I missed it all, but I wouldn't recommend a house move as a stress free alternative to Black Friday exposure.
    Note to self - NEVER move house again!
    Confession - at the last minute I decided to order a 2TB external hard drive (Amazon) which was indeed Black Friday discounted. It arrived today (Sunday) much to my surprise.
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 509Member
    edited November 25
    Well I purchased a Martin 000-28EC Just got to get an LR Baggs fitted to it. Oh and sell one of my others to make room.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/EG7Tk6FgaSxAEU726
    Just Tel said:

Well I purchased a Martin 000-28EC Just got to get an LR Baggs fitted to it. Oh and sell one of my others to make room.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/EG7Tk6FgaSxAEU726

Gorgeous! :o Now that's what I call shopping, congrats and well done JT. And nice to have you back on the forum. :)
    Thanks Graham. Must admit it's the most expensive guitar that I have ever purchased. btw I have never really gone away from the forum. I just skulk in the background without contributing.Very naughty of me.
    What discount did you get ?
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,312Member
    Just Tel said:

Nice one - that's a major piece of buying - well done! :smile:
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,618Member, Moderator
    Nice choice, Tel. I have never heard a bad-sounding Martin.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 893Member
    Lovely guitar Terry and a great purchase.

What discount did you get ?

Not so much discount, more a chunk of money off the new price. It's a 2014 guitar that is mint. Can't have ever been played as there isn't a mark on it. Not even on the scratch plate.
    Anyway having delivered it this morning to my local guitar tech to have an LR Baggs Anthem SL pick up and mic fitted together with new strings and strap button on the heel, I now have to wait a couple of days before I get it back. I usually do this work myself but decided that with this beauty I prefer to let the expert do it.
    Thanks to all for your comments on my purchase

Good decision.