Getting the tools out again

2»

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,101Member
    Apologies if I misled you re the 250K blend pot - I've honestly never noticed any issue myself, but your testing of the circuit may well be more sophisticated that mine. I do think the ideal pot would be a 250K no load type - that definitely removes any influence from the blend loop, and the taper does seem to about spot on to me.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,999Member, Moderator
    No problem, but the switched pot would be ideal. I will know how much of an influence it has when I play some music with it.
    Just ordered a CTS no load pot. I am still a month away from needing it ready, so I may as way do it right.
    Jocko said:

Just ordered a CTS no load pot. I am still a month away from needing it ready, so I may as way do it right.

Don't blame you, I've used those myself. And and least it is an easy swap, with only a couple of wires running to the pot. :)
    Megi said:

And and least it is an easy swap, with only a couple of wires running to the pot. :)

Especially as the pickguard is still lying on the bench! I'll wait until it is swapped before installing on the bespoke pickguard. At least the guitar is complete and playable at the moment.

My no load pot arrived today so I wired it into the circuit, and it works a treat. I have just to remove the bespoke pickguard from the guitar and swap the circuits over. I say swap them, but I think I will just bin the Squier electrics. Doubt I will ever have a need for them.
    I am a bit concerned that I fall in love with the Stratru-caster, once I start playing it and playing with it. I suppose that if I do I could always pass along "Blondie" instead.

Mind you, I could always pick up a Squier off Gumtree, or the like, and do the same mod for myself!
    Well, that's the Stratru-caster stripped. Just to transfer the parts over to the bespoke pickguard. I'll leave that until tomorrow evening.
    Well, that is the update to the Stratru-caster complete. An amazing range of sounds available but how many will be used I wouldn't like to guess. Currently, with the new Fender Super Bullet 9's fitted, there are some wonderful bell like tones. I'll play it for the next few weeks and see how I get on with it.
    Jocko said:

Well, that is the update to the Stratru-caster complete. An amazing range of sounds available but how many will be used I wouldn't like to guess. Currently, with the new Fender Super Bullet 9's fitted, there are some wonderful bell like tones. I'll play it for the next few weeks and see how I get on with it.

Glad to hear this has worked out well Jocko. I have to admit I generally use the standard strat tones when I play my strats - certainly when playing live anyhow. But I do find the blend circuit produces some nice extra options, and it's easy to leave the blend turned fully clockwise, and then you've got the standard setup, with master volume and tone, so it's a fairly trouble-free circuit to use. As to the bell like tones, of course the pickups have a lot to do with that (not to mention a good, resonant, well-made guitar) so you've obviously made a good choice there. :)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,310Member
    Your skills with those tools has not left you since you last used them! Good work! It'll be interesting to see if you've turned the guitar into a keeper.

Good that you remember those skills and how the tools work. I've just binned a load of old gear from my guitar building days and there was some of it I didn't recognise any more. Moving house and downsizing very soon, so some things have to go!

Well, to be accurate we're moving IF all the legal processes of sale and purchase are ever sorted out that is. :(
    Mark P said:

It'll be interesting to see if you've turned the guitar into a keeper.

It certainly won't be a keeper as far as I am concerned. The reason I have done the recent work to it is to pass it on to someone else, but I am sure the recipient will definitely want to hold on to it.
    I don't want to say too much, in case the intended receiver stumbles upon this site by accident, but I will update you later on the progress.