You are never too old to learn (just too old to remember!)

JockoJocko Posts: 6,952Member, Moderator
edited September 11 in Personal Diaries
When I first learned to play guitar, more than 50 years ago I learned to play a Dm chord so:
Much later I was led to believe that was a Dm7 and that Dm was:
After so long playing my original version I always found that awkward to play.
Today I found out that my original fingering was in fact Dm, right enough, just over F.

Comments

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,301Member
    Jocko said:

Spot on! :smiley:
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,598Member, Moderator
    Jocko said:

Much later I was led to believe that was a Dm7 ...

That first chord is as it is labelled, DM/F. The open Dm7 is this:
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,952Member, Moderator
    edited September 11
    I know that now, but somewhere, a good few years back, I saw Dm/F labelled as Dm7. Probably on a cr@p piece of sheet music!
    I tend not to use open chords, where I can avoid them. I am a barré chord enthusiast.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 875Member
    Memory plays havoc for me too. There are tunes I have played on and off over the decades (just for fun really rather than gigged), with some awsome chords I can finger quite happily. However after all this time I've no idea what they are called!
    I do find that a thorough knowledge of the open chords gives me better insight into the barre options when I can be botherred to put theory in my playing head. Other moveable chords were my A-ha moment especially those with drone notes.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,042Member
    Chords were never even mentioned throughout my classical gradings. In fact much of the time was spent un-learning shapes.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,301Member
    Memory plays havoc too when you sometimes play in DADGAD and CGCGCD and in standard tuning. Trying to remember how the scales and modes reconfigure their shapes on the fretboard. No wonder Pierre Bensusan decided to stick to the one tuning.

My recollection now of classical guitar teachings / lessons was also no mention of chords .... and also having to play the notes like a robot - exactly in tempo, and no room for expression. That still rankles.
    But ....... I managed to come out the far end still wanting to play guitar.

It's great playing the sort of music where it doesn't matter that you don't know the name of a chord you used. The important thing is you like the sound and it fits what you're playing.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 860Member
    I thought Pierre Bensusan was in James Bond? Oh wait...

When I started playing I would slide chords up and down the neck, letting open strings ring, not really knowing what the chords were called. I still don't!
    I started by playing an open E major with 3rd, 2nd 1st fingers on the A, D and G strings. Years later I found that most people put their 2nd finger on the A string. I still do it the 'old' way!
    Actually, regarding the Dm/F, if you have a bass player playing the D I don't think it matters. You're just playing an inversion.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,063Member
    ...as long as you have a reliable bass player... :D