Can you name this song?

LesterLester Posts: 1,618Member, Moderator
edited June 23 in Totally Not Guitars
It's not my drawing but I think it is great. What is the name of the song and which artist wrote and had a hit with it?

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,115Member
    I love that song, if it's the song I'm thinking of, and I think it is - something American I reckon...
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 509Member
    Horse with no name.
    The lyrics are a bit naff in places, arguably... "there were plants and birds and rocks and things" for example, and it's also been accused of be too derivative of Neil Young's style. But for me it really captures a certain mood/atmosphere, and also some nostalgia, since I remember hearing it on the radio when I was a kid in the early 70s.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,088Member
    edited June 24
    Slightly O/T but I listened to Dolly Parton's Jolene last night and wow !

Near perfect. Pure genius in every way - especially lyrically. A self deprecating woman in an impossible situation elevates herself above her rival with complete dignity.

1973. There really was something in the air at that time.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 891Member
    Nice one Lester! Not a Neil young fan, but I got it. Anyone got any more musical cartoons?
  • SilversharkSilvershark Posts: 34Member
    It's a song by a duo called America. I still have the album this track was on.

It's a song by a duo called America. I still have the album this track was on.

A trio in fact! :)
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,618Member, Moderator
    As a teenager at the time, playing in a band with some friends, I remember that we all like America and our youth club leader had an Eko 12 string guitar which I used to play a lot. That may be the background to why I often play 12 string acoustic guitars, even though I think of myself as primarily an electric player.

Ventura Highway, Horse With No Name, Sandman, Don't Cross The River and so on. The 12 string is in the lounge - I feel an America nostalgia session coming soon!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 893Member
    Sister golden hair is my favourite along with You can do magic. Great pop songs of the era.
  • DaveBassDaveBass Posts: 3,311Member
    Oh no, this has brought back memories and they aren't good ones. This was one of my most hated songs at the time and I still go "ouch" when I hear it. Complete cr@p lyrically and musically (in my humble opinion, you may of course differ and consider it a work of genius).
    DaveBass said:

Oh no, this has brought back memories and they aren't good ones. This was one of my most hated songs at the time and I still go "ouch" when I hear it. Complete cr@p lyrically and musically (in my humble opinion, you may of course differ and consider it a work of genius).

:open_mouth: - for what it's worth, I don't consider it a work of genius. I'd say you're kind of right about the lyrics - they are perhaps clunky and inelegant, but after all this time, to me they sort of feel right for the song all the same. Musically, I'm not so sure I could agree - it's really just a couple of chords, and the melody's simple and fairly static in the verses, but there's no rule that says there must be loads of complex harmony, or melodies moving around a lot for a song to be good. "Good" for that matter is always, in art, a subjective thing anyhow.

But I often think that when we like some song or other work of art, we do so knowing full well that it is flawed*, and yet there is something about it that captures us. We like it in spite of the flaws, and at the same time, those flaws may amount to horrible crapness for others. And both views are perfectly legitimate. :)

*Mozart, Bach, Schubert excepted - they really did achieve perfection.