So what did we think of the dress ???

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,089Member
Well. There's b****r all else being discussed here.

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 891Member
    What dress?
  • SmartySmarty Posts: 403Member
    I didn’t watch any of it, and managed to avoid the entire media storm. Thank heavens.
    Smarty said:

I didn’t watch any of it, and managed to avoid the entire media storm. Thank heavens.

Same here. Or the w***ing.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,089Member
    I was at work... thank goodness !!!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 894Member
    The colour wouldn't suit me, and not very practical for gardening. Much made of the fact that a British designer was involved, not so much of the fact that it was made in France and probably by some immigrant seamstresses.

Lots of people made or will make a lot of money from the event. God luck to them. My opinion of the couple is that they are nice well meaning people doing lots for others. After that I'm out of it.
    I wish he'd married a Goth. Just for interest. Tattoos and all that as well.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,116Member
    A goth would have been fun. I admit to enjoying the wedding footage on tv, but in the days since, it somehow all feels detached from reality, and at best irrelevant. I guess they're nice people, doing their best, and I can accept the Royal family bring benefits to the economy from tourism etc., but still - hmm... Re the dress - I like the halter-neck number she wore to the evening reception - Stella McCartney I think.
    The first princess with a nose ring.

The Royal family's main purpose these days is to give the illusion of continuity during a time of great upheavel.

I believe that to be the only reason we still have it.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 894Member
    I remember reading in recent months that many of the most democratic countries in the world still have royalty!
    Great Britain
    Norway
    Sweden
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Denmark
    Etc.

Of course having A king/Queen does not guarantee democracy (Thailand, Many middle eastern states?) but in reality it seems to promote it rather than harm it.

On balance I probably appreciate it for what it is and does under the current Queen. I reserve the right to change my mind at some stage in the future, or not.
    The idea is that it stops politicians from controlling the military.
    I'd argue that the US is - for its faults - democratic, so too Canada, NZ and Australia (though they technically have our Queen as figurehead.)
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 779Member
    I was having a hair cut the other day and the girl said to me, "I don't know why the Americans are so obsessed with our royal family. i don't even know who their king and queen are!"
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 779Member
    And I was gigging on royal wedding day so I blissfully missed it all!

I was having a hair cut the other day and the girl said to me, "I don't know why the Americans are so obsessed with our royal family. i don't even know who their king and queen are!"

So good!