Greta Van Fleet

Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 777Member
Check these guys out

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 839Member
    Wow...

I was NOT expecting that!

Some bands are so derivative that they're a joke, but these guys are IT! If there's a gene for making real music, these guys have it.

Unbelievably cool. And the fact that they sound exACTLy like Zep is not a problem for me.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,034Member
    edited April 7
    Van Fleet... after Derek *Trucks* ?

(good stuff)
    edited April 7
    Great sound. Great performance. Great musicianship... but NO TUNE.

There is no song there. Unlike Zep.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,662Member
    Hmmm. Does nothing for me, I'm afraid. But then again, neither did Led Zep.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,040Member
    It's derivative, and I agree not that much of a composition/tune, and the overly posing moves from the guitarist and bassist are a little annoying. But they do the Led Zep rock thing very well all the same, and there is at least some energy about it. And they're young and good-looking (suspiciously so, I wonder if the band was put together by a record company and they had to audition based on looks?) - they should do well.
    I see equally gifted young bands in pubs all the time. Where are the hooks ? Other than the cover versions they do they are non existent.
    What it isn't, is of the calibre of an actual Led Zep or Deep Purple - maybe that era is gone, never to return...?
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 777Member
    This song is not their best composition, but I'd say that Rock 'n' roll and Black Dog are both similar examples of Led Zeppelin songs where the guitar riff drives the whole song and the vocals are more of a chant over the top. They Have an EP out on Spotify that has about 8 songs, and there are more melodic songs. They have a song called Flower Power that is really good.

As for the manufactured band thing, I can see why that would be a good call, but three of them are brothers. They seem to be a naturally occurring element.

But, that voice should not be coming our of that face.
    It is a great, distinctive rock voice he's got - I'll give you that. And the musicianship, as already mentioned, is great too. And who knows what they might achieve in the future - perhaps unfair to instantly judge their early offerings against the best of Led Zep (although they do invite comparison, just from their style). I was in old-fart intolerant mode yesterday anyhow, so I'll wish them well.
    I saw an interview with Robert Plant and he raved about them, He described it as Led Zeppelin I. they ahve a couple of songs, Flower Power and Black Smoke Rising which are far more melodic, and less Led Zeppelin=y. I actually hope they move further away from that still.

(good stuff)

:-D

(good stuff)

:-D
    I liked that too. Good one Kev!
    I dunno, I never thought of Zep as overly melodic *ducks for cover* I would have expected to hear more people hailing them as the return of "real music that you don't hear around here no more."
    Personally, I think real music (whatever that is) has always been around, but then some people still insist on listening to Radio 1.
  • SilversharkSilvershark Posts: 34Member
    Wow, these guys certainly know how to make an impression. Watching that video gave me the same feeling I had when I first heard Led Zep 1 back in 1969. Oops, showing my age a bit there! I have to admit I hadn't heard of them before seeing this. I'm a regular listener to Planet Rock but don't recall hearing them played before although they do get a mention on their website as they've actually been on tour here in the UK recently. One to watch.