Hi Guys just thought I'd say Hi, I live on the South Coast of the UK and I am an enthusiastic amateur guitarist. I like many genres of music and as such love to explore all kinds of different models of guitar.

Currently researching a recent acquisition a Washburn SB5. I have an idea of its origin and age but if anyone has information as to this models age,history and value I would be very interested.

Thanks in advance.

Gary.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,581Member, Moderator
    edited March 9
    Hi Gary and welcome. Sorry but I don't know about Washburn models and their ages. I hope it is proving to be a great guitar for you.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,015Member
    Washburn is decent enough. Hi Gary.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 833Member
    Welcome Gary!

Someone has one for sale on Reverb for £149. That’s all I know, but yea, nothing wrong with a Washburn :)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 863Member
    Hello Gary and welcome,

I've only ever owned one Washburn an SBT21 in white back in the early 90s I think. Respectable guitars for sure.
    I dare say you've already stumbled across this washburn enthusiasts site
    http://forums.washburn.com/index.php?topic=327.0

There is a useful forum on early Japanese guitars (specifically the Matsumoko factory brands) which has some knowledgable people on it, you might join there and ask them
    http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php

Sorry can't help with any more specifics.
    Matsumoko - THAT name again. Blast from the past. I didn't know how many brands came from there at the time.

Japanese watches are good too.
    I have a Westone Concord from the Matsumoku factory. Very solid guitar, but the neck is a bit thin. It was my first guitar so I won’t part with it.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,267Member
    Welcome to the forum Gary. :smile:

The great thing about wanting to explore all kinds of different models of guitar is it gives a good reason to build up a collection.

Most mentions of the Washburn SB5 seem to be of Korean made in the 90s, unless it says made in Japan on it in which case it's from an earlier date. But I have no personal knowledge of that model.
    I had a Westone Concord 2 which was great for its day. I realise now that it had bad intonation and weak pups.

I had a Westone Concord 2 which was great for its day. I realise now that it had bad intonation and weak pups.

Yea my pickups weren’t too hot either. I replaced them with Alexander Pribora handwounds which sound really good. It spends 99% of its life in the cupboard though, poor thing.
  • MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 100Member
    Welcome and I'm sure you'll find all the guys here really helpful