Derek Trucks

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,657Member
As usual, I'm about ten years off the pace, but I've been catching up on Derek Trucks. Wow. I'm not sure I've heard a better guitar player in years. The first solo on the clip below is just brilliant. Well, they all are, but that first one is something special. There's an interview with him on another YT vid when he talks about emotion being the cornerstone of what his band is about, and his playing has emotion in spades. He laughs during the interview and says he wouldn't go and see someone just because they're good, and I know exactly what he means. The world is full of red hot and technically brilliant players and performers, but not many touch nerves and heart-strings like Derek does.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GBbRrvJt8G8

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,995Member
    edited March 3
    I honestly thought you were going to tell us you'd been driving a lorry in the snow. Thank goodness I was wrong.

This is GREAT Derek. I'd never heard of him. What an unusual approach to an old style. I would not have guessed that he was playing slide if I hadn't watched it.

Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,657Member
    I've walked the dog in the snow, Kevin, that's about it. Itching to get out there with my camera, but one of the benefits of my job is I can work from home... so whilst everyone else in the red zone is out playing, I'm in working. Maybe tomorrow morning if we get enough new snow to hide the slush.

Back to the music, what's interesting is my all time favourite piece of guitar music is John Fahey's Jaya Shiva Shankara - which, rather like Derek Trucks's style, is big on the Indian influence. Perhaps it's time to start my Bollywood collection!
    edited March 3
    East meets Great Western.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,267Member
    Then there's the Tedeschi Trucks Band -Derek and wife Susan Tedeschi.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=iWPntKAWvHs
    They fell in love while exploring and sharing Chicago Blues records.

I'll not mention snow except to say I'm sick of the stuff!
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 807Member
    22 years in Canada made me sick of the stuff! The worst we get here for decades is like a sprinkle of icing sugar in comparison!
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,267Member
    It's so much what you're used to I guess. I suspect that in Canada, like Sweden, they have methods in place to cope with these conditions and all the wheels don't fall off of day to day life.

Like Oymyakon in Russia - 500 people permanently living in the permafrost - kids still go to school if the temperature is above -55 Celsius.

Not that knowing this it stops me from complaining about what it's like here! :smile:
    edited March 9
    This year - in my *Red Alert* region - it was one day stoppage, one day recovery then back to normal.

The authorities have it right. It is not feasible to invest much in snow ploughing equipment diverting funds away from other things.

The press makes it all out to be more of a disaster than it is. Most non-railway people I know made a long weekend of it (the pubs were heaving.) I got to work but all I could do was a bit of token snow shovelling with not much point to it other than to make it look like something was being done.
    Mark P said:

It's so much what you're used to I guess. I suspect that in Canada, like Sweden, they have methods in place to cope with these conditions and all the wheels don't fall off of day to day life.

Like Oymyakon in Russia - 500 people permanently living in the permafrost - kids still go to school if the temperature is above -55 Celsius.

Not that knowing this it stops me from complaining about what it's like here! :smile:

Yea to a degree. (Hehe). But you know it’s going to be cold, and you can’t just stop everything for four months! Taking a couple of days off school is ridiculous, but a novelty I suppose.
    Cars in Canada have block heaters that you plug in overnight to keep the engine warm. You get used to warming up your car for a few minutes, scraping ice off, etc. but really it’s all what you’re used to. You learn what you can and can’t do and get on with life.
    -20 degrees can feel pretty cold, but if you know it’s going to get colder, you think it’s not that bad. So really you just put up with it.

The upside is that now I love the English ‘winter’!
    But back to Mr Trucks, wow what a lyrical Player. He sounds more like he’s singing. Beautiful. And unusually emotive.