A little fun with Line6

nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 839Member
I was in the Norwich PMT the other day and just had to try out a Line6 Variax. I’d played one a few years ago and was reasonably impressed, but this new model is truly amazing. Even without the modeling electronics, the neck feels fantastic, and the pickups are great. Really great. It’s a bargain if you only ever use it as a regular guitar.

But I also wanted to play with the tuning capabilities. One knob selects tuning - DropD, Eb, DADGAD, etc - while another knob selects a type of guitar, with the five way switch selecting variations, or pickup selections depending on the guitar model you’ve selected.
Well I just had to try this..

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,040Member
    An amazing bit of kit there, and an excellent quick demo - Line 6 should give you a job Nick, I'm sure you'd sell more than a few units for them. :)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 839Member
    Haha thanks mate. I'd like that!!
    Yea, it's a killer guitar. They offered me a RIDIculous deal too, but I couldn't justify it. My wife asked if I'd use it, I said "No". Can't believe I said that, but it's true. For a travelling, gigging, only-room-for-one guitarist, it would be perfect. Cover bands should use em. You could play that sitar intro, switch to a 12 string and play the rest of the song with a Gretsch. Unbelievable.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,040Member
    You make a persuasive case Nick, although like you, I might feel in the end that I wouldn't actually use it. Maybe I just prefer having a whole collection of different guitars, and doing things the old fashioned way, I don't know. I do wonder how good the jazz archtop type guitar sounds are with a Variax, I must admit.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 839Member
    I don’t have an Archtop to compare it to, but I thought the Rick samples were okayish, if that’s anything to go by.
    It does a clever thing with the 5 way switch, where positions 1, 3 and 5 are one guitar (neck, both and bridge pickup) and 2 and 4 are another (neck and bridge), so you have an ES-175 and a Super 400 at the flick of a switch. I thought they sounded usable, but I’m not an authority on either model. I did like the 335 sounds though. The tele and strats were amazing!
    But still, it’s going to be a compromise of 25 worlds (or whatever the number is) and yup, like you Megi, I’d rather have a bunch of things that feel right as well as sound right.
    Still, interesting tool/toy.