Another new oldie here...

Hi ya'all... I stumbled across this site following a review MikeP had done on a VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap signiture. This forum/site looks very interesting so thought I would come and save you all :) I was playin in bands in the late sixties early seventies, mostly services bases round the south coast and occasionally in London (Whiskey a Go Go, Wardour St), also did the American service bases in Germany... a favourte tour for bands back then, We had a ten piece soul band including two sax and a trombone with my ex as a Go Go girl (older members will know what that means :) . I was actually playing keyboards in that band (and van driver)... although I started on guitar; but we needed a KB player and I was the only one who could afford one... so, I was it! We did Geno Washington/Mike Cotton clone gigs... and I have to say I thought we were pretty good back in the day. We had over an hour of numbers linked with musical segways and key changes... hell, it longer to work out the segways than it did the toons LOL As with a lot of bands we never made any money and basically lived out of the back of the van and service station junk food and the enevitable Mars bars (when Marion and Mick could spare a few :) , but when your younger you don't give a damb eh!

Anyhow, I have not played out since the band split in the seventies... just dabbled with guitars and KB's since. Although being electricly minded I got into refurbishing old guitar valve amps. I have also repaired a few for local muso's... but am retired now so not interested in doing it for a living, but will look at an amp if anyone local is stuck. I can also check valves for locals on an Avo valve tester I use if required. As stated I have a a few valve amps I have refurbished (intending to sell them, but then could not part with them LOL). Also have several guitars I have collected over the years, some genuine American, some JHS Vuntage (most are are excellent after a setup). The Vintage VE2000GG is soon to be mine I hope as I could do with a resonable quality acoustic... well MikeP review speaks highly of it.

OK, I ramble, sorry about that...
Regards, Dave (Hampshire, deep south UK))

Comments

• DaveH-UKDaveH-UK Posts: 11Member
    Opp's, that was Mark P that did the Vintage VE2000GG review, apologies Mark.
    I see some left side-bar heading are greyed out and can't be accessed? Do I have to be certified (or certifiable) before being allowed in there?
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 739Member
    Hey Dave, welcome to the fray!
    Aghhhh, I think I figured it out... the greyed out headers are just the main header to the accessable subheaders underneath... dur!
    DaveH-UK said:

I see some left side-bar heading are greyed out and can't be accessed? Do I have to be certified (or certifiable) before being allowed in there?

• LesterLester Posts: 1,542Member, Moderator
    Good morning, Dave.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,902Member
    Hi and welcome Dave - I sometimes work with a lady singer/bassist who also started out with bands in the sixties, and has told me about working at the American service basses.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,902Member
    Hello Dave.

Nice to meet a hard working musician for once.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 835Member
    Hello Dave, ('you're my wife now' - for those fans of a certain TV series. Apologies to Dave who's probably sick of it by now).
    Welcome to the forum, It sounds like you could write loads in the diary secton here. Looking forward to getting to know you.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,256Member
    Hi Dave

Glad you found my words about the VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap guitar. I've only had it for about a year and a half and I wish I'd got one a long time ago. Liked it so much I've also recently got one of the last available V2000MGGs - the all mahogany version.

That's a wide musical experience you've had at being a working musician!

Anyway - welcome to the forum and I hope you find it useful / enjoyable.

PS you're right about Vintage JHS benefiting from a setup!
    Thanks for the replys Guys... and to Mark, the VE2000GG should be winging its way to moi as I type ^. I looked at the MGG version and that looks interesting, maybe later, but I would be interested to know how you find the tonal differences between the ceder and mahogany tops?

Yup, I had fun in bands when I was younger and more robust... retired now, so thats all dusted :) Anyhow, PC correctness these days has probably killed a lot of the fun that you could get up to then; most of it was just this side of legal LOL

I must tell you the tail of our drummer and his double Premier kit, and the two lesbians we picked up at a club one night, oh, and the GI who pulled a Colt 45 on us, and the widgie board frightener... more anon ;-)
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,902Member
    If you're retired then PC doesn't affect you much. Incorrectness can cost you your job but rarely does it get you in trouble with the law.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,256Member
    DaveH-UK said:

Thanks for the replys Guys... and to Mark, the VE2000GG should be winging its way to moi as I type ^. I looked at the MGG version and that looks interesting, maybe later, but I would be interested to know how you find the tonal differences between the ceder and mahogany tops?

Hey Dave. I'll try and verbalise (is that a word?) the tonal differences!

The two share some characteristics. The body shape has a big influence - large, which supports lower notes well, but with a very pinched waist which gives well focused mids and trebles. The Giltrap guitars are pretty much on their own with the extra pinching to the waist - normally only found on much more expensive hand built guitars. The unusual body shape does make for a strange feeling guitar when it is first played, but I rapidly found comfortable ways to play it and I usually can't get on with playing larger guitars due to the comfort issue.

In general terms the mahogany top has more in the mix of mids and as a result can be more difficult to record with microphones because of the peaks pushed out in that range.

The cedar top has a generally lighter quality to the tones and sounds produced and I believe that there are more audible overtones and harmonics going on. Noticable when notes are left to ring on.

The mahogany top seems to have more concentration in the sound of just the fundamental note being played.

If an arpeggio is played fairly slowly across all six strings and they are left to ring the cedar top has a bit more of the higher notes ringing on and the mahogany top has the lower mids a bit more prominent.

These differences between the two are not huge, but they are enough to make them both worthy of a place in my small collection.

To my ears both versions are pretty damn good for having balanced sound across the strings. I've found them as pleasing in that regard as a Lowden I had for a while. In terms of inspiration and enjoyment I have found them to be better than the Lowden!

I hope you get on with the guitar and have years of good music making with it.