Hi everyone...

Hi,

New here and Justin wanted to say hi.

I’m a forty(something) bloke and been playing for 35 years.... (dam writing that down makes me feel old)

Looking forward to meeting some new people.

Michael.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,530Member, Moderator
    Hi Michael, I'm a fifty(something) bloke and I have been playing for over 45 years. Does that make you feel younger?

This is a quiet forum which has the benefit of having genuinely friendly and helpful folk here. Many of us came here because we were (or are) customers of Richard's Guitars in Stratford-upon-Avon. Richard is the forum owner.
  • MichaelsCloudMichaelsCloud Posts: 8Member
    Yes.. that helps :smile:

I found the site while looking for a really good shop to buy a couple of new guitars for my (modest) collection.

Been watching Richards videos this afternoon, might pop up there in a couple of weeks..

Michael.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member
    Hi - I'm a sixty (something) bloke Michael and I hope that makes you feel better still, and hopefully makes Lester feel better too! :smile:

I hope you enjoy the forum. It is, as Lester says quiet, but I agree it does have friendly and helpful forum members.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 661Member
    Nice to meet you Michael. Another almost-fifty guy here (go on, admit it!!).

This forums a good place with nothing but nice folk in it. Feel free to share your decades wisdom insight and wonder.

Welcome!
  • SilversharkSilvershark Posts: 26Member
    Hope this doesn't sound like oneupmanship. Welcome from someone in their seventies who's been playing on and off for 60 years. You're not a lefty, are you? Feels like I'm in a minority of one here!
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member

Hope this doesn't sound like oneupmanship. Welcome from someone in their seventies who's been playing on and off for 60 years. You're not a lefty, are you? Feels like I'm in a minority of one here!

Thank you for making me feel better! :wink:
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,862Member
    Hi Michael.

You have to do an innitiation to join this club. Didn't they tell you ?

I'm not telling you my age btw. This is my real name and I could end up with dodgy things happening to my bank account.

Hold on a minute - there's nothing in my bank account so what am I worried about ?

(53)
    My favourite quote regarding age:
    I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands!

Sadly I’m not old enough to say that, but I’m still kicking myself that I never saw Queen with Freddie. Oh well. I saw David Bowie twice so for me that makes up for it.

How’s yorur chance to brag about the bands you’ve seen, Micheal!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 823Member
    Hello and welcome. Next one for me will be 60! I just figured its more years since the 87 storms than my age when it happened.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
    Just to add Hi and welcome from me Michael. :)
    edited October 16
    ES - I was ordered to patrol in the storms of '87 (my police days) - the only idiots out there !!! Dragged out of the section house bed, riot helmet, great coat and pyjamas underneath. Utter loonacy.

Some of the sights were spectacular. I huddled in a doorway and saw a tree tear in half and fly away. A scaffold roof tore itself apart and one sheet spun end over end up the street at about 80mph. Utterly lethal and probably the closest I've come to death. It would have chopped a man in two very easily.

City of London. The idiot who gave that order needed shooting.

Oddly I spoke to a 30-year-old at work yesterday. I asked if he remembered that night. He said "No. I wasn't born then."

Yikes.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 823Member
    Kevin as it happens I was in that London on the night, been to a club to see a mate playing in a band then tube out to a car park an off up the M11, A14 in one of those Citroen air suspension things. I was not driving because I'd had a lot of that relaxation water! But the air ride dulled the buffeting some, we just noticed lots of flashes in the distance fairly often and put it down to lightning in the storm. Turns out it was power lines hitting the earth.
    There was not much traffic and we saw no high sided vehicles but until morning we didn't witness anything horrific. Exciting waking in the morning and seeing the news.

Well, I kind of am a lefty, but I play my guitar right handed, so sorry, not helping the diversity quota.

Nice to meet you Michael. Another almost-fifty guy here (go on, admit it!!).

This forums a good place with nothing but nice folk in it. Feel free to share your decades wisdom insight and wonder.

Welcome!

Thanks - still closer to 40 (just), look forward to sharing my thoughts, and getting some useful advice.
    Thanks everyone for you welcomes!!
    Great to see you, Michael. A good place to start is with the diary section. I’m sure you have some stories, or an ongoing one at least

Well, I kind of am a lefty, but I play my guitar right handed, so sorry, not helping the diversity quota.

Re left-handedness, there's a great little website called LeftyFretz which has a test for it. http://leftyfretz.com/left-handed-test/. It will estimate how much of a lefty you are. It reckons I'm 84% left-handed, apparently because I use a mouse in my right hand and hold a knife in my right hand when eating with knife and fork.

When I first picked up a guitar I held in a lefty fashion and subsequently never considered playing right-handed. It would just never feel correct to me.

If you want a laugh check out the Andertons video where two right-handed players try to play lefty guitars.

The left thing is interesting. I drink beer with my right hand and port with my left. But that's only because I can only hold one glass in a hand at a time.
    The only thing I do left handed is play hockey (ice hockey to Europeans) - the stick would be on my left side. Don't know why.

A friend's father could draw equally well with either hand, and upside down. He could sit opposite you and draw where you are drawing, and better! Amazing.

I must be one of the three people on the planet who cannot stand the Andertons videos. I've watched a lot of them and finally had enough of Chapman's immature antics and attitude. I won't go on, but could if prompted/poked.
    Playing leftie is a good way of reminding yourself how difficult it was when you started.

I open jars with my left hand.

That’s a good point. Forefinger goes....here...middle fi....middle finger goes over... no, over ...no THERE... little finger goes...HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?
    /strums/ dunkflupflupfukpdk

I must be one of the three people on the planet who cannot stand the Andertons videos. I've watched a lot of them and finally had enough of Chapman's immature antics and attitude. I won't go on, but could if prompted/poked.

I tend to agree with you on this - don't like his playing style one bit. The thing I like about the videos is that they cover a lot of kit and give me a good indication of what's worth looking at further but I do think they go on far too long. Should be 30 mins max.
    Nick, Silvershark - it's yer age.

Similarly I dislike Top Gear for the same reasons. Bring back Tiff. Bring back ordinary cars.
    I wouldn’t be who I am without my age:) does that make sense?

I just find Chapman incredibly arrogant. That turns me off anyone, really. They do have some insights on a lot of gear, but i also find that they toe the party line, or the correct and current line of thinking. Like, tubes are better than solid state, tonewood is bunk, thick strings sound better, boutique is best, digital modeling is crap, and so on. It’s like there is a Bible of guitardom and thou shalt not speak against it. The cynic in me knows that this is good thinking for selling gear, mind you.