Sigma JM-SG45 vs Gibson J45 Standard (a good one !)

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,892Member
edited September 28 in Guitar Chat

A long awaited comparison between the two. To be fair on the Sigma, it is up against a very good example of the Gibson Standard. The Gibson is about 3 1/2 to 4 times as much in price - worth it if you can afford it, as you'll hear. That said, if you played the guitars apart I'm sure you'd be well satisfied with the Sigma and in my experience it beats a lot of Gibson examples in the shops at the moment.

Comments

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,238Member
    The usual great playing from Mick'n'Pete.

It's pretty astonishing how close Sigma can get their acoustics to guitars costing 3 or times as much. I find it difficult to feel that much extra cash is justified by the marginal return. If I was a much better player I might feel differently.

On at least one of the comparisons, where the type of music didn't demand so much volume I felt the Sigma had the edge. I get the impression the Gibson loses something at lower intensity. I've encountered that with quality hand built guitars that only come to life if driven hard - pretty useless if you mostly play quiet, reflective music.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,892Member
    When I bought my Sigma I did have the opportunity to pick up a Gibson for £900 (used.) It was no better. Admittedly it was not the best version I've played - for consistency you need to look at the True Vintage which comes in at well over £2k.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 830Member
    As always the price tag on a guitar observes the law of diminishing returns, it's easy to get a nice sounding/playing guitar. The real skill lies in the luthier/manufacturer that offers that last 10%,5% or even 1%. In a studio all sorts of nice guitar sounds can be created but those rich subtle tones still cost money. I think Sigma guitar sare great for the price and I could see myself owning one, I could also see myself owning a used/settled big brand name guitar too.