Don't just buy used, buy broken!

I needed another guitar gig bag, so I went shopping on eBay, naturally, and found a broken one. Just the zip on one of the pockets wasn't working. Fine, I thought. How bad can it be?
For a mere £5+£3.20 shipping, the Ritter bag was mine! It arrived today in exactly the condition the seller said it would be. There are three pockets and the largest zip does indeed fail to zip all the way along. No big deal, I just hot glued the flap down.
And here it is. It's just a bag, but it's my bag and I'm happy! So I'm off looking for other junk that I can fix easily.

Gig bag

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,892Member
    You're just soooo out there, Nick. I bet you have chickens too. Am I right ?
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 716Member
    Leave my chickens out of this.
    My wife checks the eggs before buying.

So that's your theory out of the window !
    That's an oeff.
    On further inspect, and as I tried to fit a guitar into the case, I found that it's probably an electro acoustic or thin acoustic case. It's too thick for an electric, but I couldn't get my Breedlove into it.

So I thought it might fit TWO electrics!

Where's the glue gun? Ah, there it is. Now I just need some fabric to make a flap to protect the back-to-back electrics from each other. Or any dog hide would do, really.
    Found it!
    Yes I had this stuff lying around.

IMG_8060

Firstly, I drew the edges of the inside of the case on the fabric, cut out a larger version and hot glued the two together, overlapping the larger one to make a seam.
    IMG_8056

IMG_8057

I then marked halfway up the sides of the inside of the case and hotglued the double layered fabric along the edge.
    Done!

Happier me.

IMG_8061

And I still have enough left over for a hand warmer or clutch bag.

IMG_8059
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,536Member, Moderator
    That looks very creative for next to no cost.
    Thanks Lester. That was the plan. I didn't want to spend any more money or the £8 gig bag might not have been such a good deal. There's no money in my back garden. I checked for that too.
    edited September 20
    101 creations... using dead Dalmations.

101 creations... using dead Dalmations.

LOL my new how to book, coming soon to Amazon.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,873Member
    Great bit of make do and mend there Nick - I think the dalmation fur really makes it somehow, although I do like the crimson interior as well. I could do with a new gig bag at the moment, will have to have a look around.
    Cheers mate! If you find anything good, let us know... I’m sure you could find some animal fur somewhere to improve it!
    Dalmation + crimson sounds like an episode of Super Vet.
  • DaveH-UKDaveH-UK Posts: 11Member
    Nice bag for £3 Nick... but you could have had my old bag for free (many did), but unfortunately I don't have her address anymore.
    Just FWIW: In the end I cheated and bought a new bag, one of these from Thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_premium_gigbag_eguitar_br.htm

It's pretty nice, although I wish they'd made the pockets just a bit bigger. But it has a classy feel/look to it, seems well made, and does a good job protecting the guitar. I also took the opportunity to get another 24 sets of their cheapo 11s strings, which I actually find to be as good as anything, and I like the little bit heavier gauge they have for the bass strings too.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_011_e_guitar_set.htm

I am not endorsed or receiving any payment from Thomann.de btw... :D
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 830Member
    Graham I bulk buy my strings from Thomann whenever i put in an order I tag some on. I use the Blue Pyramid packets which are a little more than those you picked but half the price of the big well advertised brands. They last well and siut most of my guitars (I am brand/gauge specific on my guitars). If you treat strings well and change them as applicable I find cheap strings more than adequate.
    Megi said:

Just FWIW: In the end I cheated and bought a new bag, one of these from Thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_premium_gigbag_eguitar_br.htm

It's pretty nice, although I wish they'd made the pockets just a bit bigger. But it has a classy feel/look to it, seems well made, and does a good job protecting the guitar. I also took the opportunity to get another 24 sets of their cheapo 11s strings, which I actually find to be as good as anything, and I like the little bit heavier gauge they have for the bass strings too.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_011_e_guitar_set.htm

I am not endorsed or receiving any payment from Thomann.de btw... :D

Was it used? No. Was it broken? No. You're not following the rules, Megi.... but Thomann do make some really nice bags. Very cool :)

I've often wondered about their strings. I tend to buy Rotosounds so I should give Thomann a shot. Thanks for the recommendation :)
    ESBlonde said:

Graham I bulk buy my strings from Thomann whenever i put in an order I tag some on. I use the Blue Pyramid packets which are a little more than those you picked but half the price of the big well advertised brands. They last well and siut most of my guitars (I am brand/gauge specific on my guitars). If you treat strings well and change them as applicable I find cheap strings more than adequate.

Good to know... it's time to save money, methinks.
    Apologies for not following the rules Nick, I'm a hopeless case I know. But those strings (they do 9s and 10s sets as well) do seem excellent to me - I tried them one time, with a skeptical frame of mind, and was converted.
    ESBlonde said:

I've heard good things about Pyramed strings myself, an excellent choice I'm sure ES.
    Megi said:

Apologies for not following the rules Nick, I'm a hopeless case I know. But those strings (they do 9s and 10s sets as well) do seem excellent to me - I tried them one time, with a skeptical frame of mind, and was converted.

Haha! I’m sure there’s still hope...!
    Well I’d better get some then. Oh and I still owe you that Rickenbacker/jazz video :smile:

Megi said:

Haha! I’m sure there’s still hope...!
    Well I’d better get some then. Oh and I still owe you that Rickenbacker/jazz video :smile:
    Very kind of you - I really do have to stop buying guitars now, but it would be fun to turn up at a jazz gig with a Rickenbacker I admit. If you do try the strings, let us know what your impressions are. :)
    my pleasure :) nah you can always squeeze one more in, I’m sure!
    Yea, will do. I’m looking at putting an order in sometime too, maybe a case. I didn’t realise the strings were so cheap! £1.39???

my pleasure :) nah you can always squeeze one more in, I’m sure!
    Yea, will do. I’m looking at putting an order in sometime too, maybe a case. I didn’t realise the strings were so cheap! £1.39???

Even cheaper if you buy 12, even cheaper still if you buy 24 - plus if you're getting something else you need anyhow, and can thus combine postage costs... it's quite persuasive. And they seem like pretty nice strings to me. :)
    Nice! And I'm sure new cheap strings sound better than old expensive strings anyhow.
    Going shopping....

Nice! And I'm sure new cheap strings sound better than old expensive strings anyhow.
    Going shopping....

Have fun shopping, don't spend too much! :D If my experience of the strings is worth anything, then they are as good as anything, and not just for the money - and definitely better than old expensive strings.
    Hehe thanks. I might have to sneak in a little Present for ME. Hey I’m worth it, no matter what kind of shampoo I use.
    Rather excited about the prospect of being to buy strings that cost less than a cup of coffee!
    Most things cost less than a cup of coffee 'round 'ere. Nearly 3 quid a cup.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,536Member, Moderator

Rather excited about the prospect of being to buy strings that cost less than a cup of coffee!

You clearly don't buy your cups of coffee from Costa Packet!
    Haha good one! No, not anymore. I try to go to independents as much as I can. Or drink at home :j