Scorchcaster?

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,877Member

Re: drill press vs hand drill, I blu tack-ed a spirit level bubble to the back end of my drill and made some (if I say so myself) rather straight holes for trem posts. You can get them off eBay for a couple of quid or less. Worked for me.

Thank you, and I like your style Nick, nice bit of out the box thinking there, as they might say on a management conference. When I've did the drilling for the trem pivot screws on previous builds, I did OK just by being careful to get the drill angle to the body visually right. So that does make sense that it would work, and I like the cheap/minimal aspect of it - ties in with my own philosophy for building guitars. :D
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 718Member
    Hehe glad to help. Buying more gear would just up the price of the build too. You don’t want that ;)
  • BryBry Posts: 652Member
    edited October 18
    Megi said:

May I ask what is involved in fitting a two-post trem like that? - is it at all tricky drilling the body for the inserts and what kit do you need?

It's a lot easier than I first thought. I put the two E strings on to check the positioning and mark position for holes. Drill with a 6mm bit first and then re-drill it with 10mm bit. Mark the bit with masking tape for a depth guide. The post on the bass side is the more critical one, the bridge design leaves you a bit of leeway for the other. I didn't use a drill press and have done five of these type of bridges now with no problem.

The jack socket finally arrived yesterday so I got to hear what the cheap pickups sound like. Maybe a bit unfair to compare a prewired scratchplate costing £15 with one currently selling for £140 (although I dont remember paying that much) from Axesrus, but it's the closest thing I have to a standard three single coil strat type set-up.
    On its own it sounds ok, nothing bad and as you'd expect, nothing special either. Very thin sounding compared to the Axesrus setup but given that this guitar will rarely see a proper amp and if plugged in at all it will be into a pc or a digital multi-track and heard only through my headphones I think they are adequate.

Cheap Chinese neck - I'm over the moon with it. No faults found, fits perfectly and feels as good as any (and better than a lot) I've used before.
    Cheap Chinese pickups - Satisfied, but will upgrade one day.
    Cheap Chinese tuners - No problems, look good and work well.
    Cheap Chinese bridge - The only let down, but then at £8 and some pennies it was never going to beat a good Wilko.
    Axesrus pickguard. Cool. Did you mention what kind of pickups are in there?

Axesrus pickguard. Cool. Did you mention what kind of pickups are in there?

I think they are Texas Blues, I swapped the pickguard for a Gilroy Guitars maple one
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,892Member
    How can I put this delicately. Erm...

YUCK !

The colours jar as do the conflicting grains.

The picture should come with a warning.
    edited October 19

YUCK !

It's in line for refinishing since a bit of the veneer got chipped off by persons unknown. One piece mahogany under there, what would you suggest?

I think I'd prefer the cream pickups on the tort plate rather than the black but the body may yet change colour too.
    edited October 19
    When I dress up, I wear only a patterned shirt and a plain tie - or - a patterned tie with a plain shirt. Never both, otherwise it looks too busy. Perhaps no tie at all.

I'd suggest any plain scratchplate with a grained guitar body. The brown one above would work with ivory white, black, light brown... all boringly safe. Maybe a metallic one might work. Brass perhaps.
    Very cool. Axesrus make some great pickups. I bet it sounds great too.

When I dress up, I wear only a patterned shirt and a plain tie - or - a patterned tie with a plain shirt. Never both, otherwise it looks too busy. Perhaps no tie at all.

I'd suggest any plain scratchplate with a grained guitar body. The brown one above would work with ivory white, black, light brown... all boringly safe. Maybe a metallic one might work. Brass perhaps.

I like your thinking, Kevin. Although I never wear a tie. My rule is that I didn't wear one for my wedding, and any other event is going to be less important so doesn't warrant a tie either.

Personally, I would like to see a parchment or black scratchplate too. But hey. Bry, you might be on to something I can't see!
    So my paisley shirt, striped trousers and flowery tie are out? :)
    Only Brad Pitt could pull that one off.
    In the dark, perhaps.
    edited October 30
    Scorchcaster crashes and burns....
    While dismantling the tele/strat I thought I'd try it on the scorched body, just to see how it looked with a maple neck and discovered it's the wrong scale length.

So I've ordered this...

and now have so many options I dont yet know what to do. Tele HB type bridge, wraparound, TOM with either a stop bar or ferrules and that's before considering the electronics. I have two of those Artec onboard effects I'd like to use as there's a good sized control cavity, plenty of room for a battery. There's a 5 step overdrive and a vintage tone controller

I think I'll be wiring these up off the guitar to see what works before I drill any holes.
    Also considering trying a wipe on poly finish in a change from the usual Tru-Oil.
    oo offset body...nice!

Have you tried those Artec effects units yet? How are they?
    edited October 30
    I've had the 5 step overdrive wired up in a coffee tin to try it out. Step 5 is insane but the rest is usable.
    Looking good Bry, shame about the scale being off on the other body, but I like your keep calm and carry on approach.
  • DaveH-UKDaveH-UK Posts: 11Member
    That scorched Strat does look cool... now wheres my 59' burst and the blow torch.
    First impressions... Neck fits nicely and I'm going to need a lot of sandpaper

I'm thinking all black except for pickups and knobs.
    Mmmm.
    Oooooo P90s. LOVE P90s! I have guitars with them in either neck or bridge, but no guitar with both. One day!
    Bry said:

I've had the 5 step overdrive wired up in a coffee tin to try it out. Step 5 is insane but the rest is usable.

Interesting. Not too noisy then?

Interesting. Not too noisy then?

No, well the only thing you could do with step 5 would be to make noise, step 4 I'd use to make a point ;) the rest will be used.
    Sanded, dyed, sanded some more and dyed again.
    That’s good to know. Thanks!

That black looks amazing! Chrome hardware?

Chrome hardware?

Not sure now. It was going to be all black apart from the pickups and knobs but now I'm thinking chrome tuners would look better. Black Tele bridge should arrive today and it may well end up with chrome saddles.
    Looking very cool Bry, and the chrome P90s definitely fit - are those some old Axesrus specials (I have one such that may find use in my "current" tele build, if that ever gets finished). FWIW, I think chrome tuners myself - a bit of contrast with the dark guitar finish is good.

BTW, I see I never thanked you for your kind and useful advice re drilling the holes for a two post trem - so sincerely sorry about that, and belated thanks on that one - I have a feeling it will come in handy, perhaps not until next year, but there is a superstrat fusion-type guitar project brewing somewhere in my brain. :)
    Megi said:

Looking very cool Bry, and the chrome P90s definitely fit - are those some old Axesrus specials (I have one such that may find use in my "current" tele build, if that ever gets finished). FWIW, I think chrome tuners myself - a bit of contrast with the dark guitar finish is good.

BTW, I see I never thanked you for your kind and useful advice re drilling the holes for a two post trem - so sincerely sorry about that, and belated thanks on that one - I have a feeling it will come in handy, perhaps not until next year, but there is a superstrat fusion-type guitar project brewing somewhere in my brain. :)

No worries, it's a lovely bridge, looking forward to the build :)

The pickups are Iron Gear P90 Alchemist, first P90s I've ever used so I'm thinking of making an offboard test rig with various configurations of pots of different values to see what works best. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile having a selector switch to toggle the pickups between a 250 or a 500 pot for a brighter/darker tone or if the difference would be noticeable enough.
    Bridge arrived and I'm going to go with that and chrome tuners.
    Very cool! the black chrome bridge ties in with the black surround for the neck pickup in a neat way. I still think chrome tuners though, which should tie in also, since the headstock face is black.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,241Member
    edited November 2
    That'
    Bry said:

YUCK !

It's in line for refinishing since a bit of the veneer got chipped off by persons unknown. One piece mahogany under there, what would you suggest?

I think I'd prefer the cream pickups on the tort plate rather than the black but the body may yet change colour too.
    Your bottom picture in the post above was jogging something in my memory.
    Then it came to me - a build from nearly 10 years ago.
    Not quite the same, but I remember being not quite convinced by the colour combination. Turned out it's sound was even more suspect than it's look though. :(
    Shame, as I'd hand-carved and routed the whole damn body!
    Megi said:

... but there is a superstrat fusion-type guitar project brewing somewhere in my brain. :)

I’m looking forward to that one :smile:

Lookin good, Bry. Mismatching tuners and bridge isn’t something you see everyday so I think that would look neat..
    Ever thought about chrome saddles?
    I did it the other way around once - black graphtec saddles on a chrome bridge - and really liked it.
    Could be good . But anyway, liked Megi said, the Black surrounds look great. Nice job!