Scorchcaster?

It's Tru-oil time!

You can just make out on the last pic where the burning has opened up the join in the wood. It hasn't gone far, I hope it wont be a problem.

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 661Member
    oooo nice burning! That's a great way to do a burst. Is it going to be shiny, or matte? Nice job mate.
  • BryBry Posts: 651Member
    Not sure yet, it's really soaking up the tru-oil. Few more coats tomorrow and see what happens.
  • Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 123Member
    That does look really cool - I like the way it works like a burst, I've seen too many scorch jobs that look like a lunatic has been let loose with a blow torch.

My faith in the power of fire has been restored!
    Bits have started to arrive... only waiting on knobs and a trip to Homebase for some new sanding pads

Already planning what to do with this...
    Nice, love those knobs. Very classy.

That's funny - I know what that's like: barely finished one and you're planning the next. At least it's a legal and healthy drug :)
    Those knobs are just placeholders, waiting for these

Actually they look slicker still!
    Plan made...

I've dyed it black before sanding it. Will be green as soon as Northwest Guitars have some more green dye in stock.

All other bits will be cheap and Chinese, at least to begin with, upgraded later when funds allow.
    Prewired scratchplate £15, bridge for a tenner, neck for £30... what could possibly go wrong?
    Didn't wait for Northwest Guitars, just mixed up my own dye and have begun the Tru-Oiling
    No time like the present... looks great! Beautiful, even finish.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,862Member
    Lovely. Are you going to do a gloss varnish on it ?
    I'm Tru-oiling it but might not go for a glossy finish this time as it looks a bit awesome after one coat.

edited October 4
    http://tntcustomguitars.com/images/1366677280345-1937071194.jpeg

It's a temporary scratchplate you have there ? Do you think one of the above would work with it ?

I think the original plan looks deadly but to pull it off needs a gloss finish otherwise the black scratchplate will drag it all down. I'm probably wrong though. BossGirl is in charge of all the decorating in this house.
    It is temporary, the black one is prewired and only £15 so that may well be temporary too. Out of those pictured I'd say the aged or the aged pearl might suit. I'd be happy with the tortoiseshell but already have a green strat with tort plate so it'd be nice to do something else.
    I forget who suggested the stock sheen and conditioner with tru-oil, might have been Jocko, but I have a bottle of that waiting to be tried so that's a silk finish possibility. It could easily end up glossy though.
    It's probably a good thing I dont have all the parts yet or else they'd be fitted now just as it is. The scorchcaster thing is almost ready for final assembly so I'll have a think about it while I do that.
    Yeah. A really nice problem to own.

Looks great. I like the matt finish btw.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
    I seem to remember you doing green with tort before Bry? It's unusual, but also a great combination I must say - looks ace! :)
    Megi said:

I seem to remember you doing green with tort before Bry? It's unusual, but also a great combination I must say - looks ace! :)

At least twice...image
    Bits have begun to arrive

I can confirm that a bridge costing less than £9 is every bit as light and flimsy as you would expect :)
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,530Member, Moderator
    edited October 11
    A flimsy tremolo, maybe, but a flimsy bridge is a definite no. What next, Bry?
    You had me at cream plastics on black 'guard. Yum!
    edited October 11
    Lester said:

A flimsy tremolo, maybe, but a flimsy bridge is a definite no. What next, Bry?

Well I raided the spares box to finish a guitar my daughter painted when she was 3 so there's room for this tin-foil trem in there. I cant imagine using it anywhere else :)

If she learns three chords I'll wire it up.

I reckon I'll get a Wilko bridge to go on the green one instead.
    The difference...

Just waiting for a jack socket and set-up. I think I love this one.
    Wow !

That is bang on !

(Looks well suited to the garden too.)
    What a looker! So how does it sound? Any videos coming up? :smile:
    It's yet to meet an amp. It came close, I dug out an old socket to temporarily wire it up while I wait on the post but it was badly rusted and I didn't bother.
    I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out with the ultra cheap neck but now I reckon it has earned an upgrade to IronGear pickups. It's turned out really nicely and has had me playing more than I have in many months. When I'm not playing it I'm staring at it :)
    Oh yes I forgot it doesn’t have an output jack.
    Irongear picks up are great! I have a pair of Pigirons but always fancied the Smokestacks. Which ones are you getting?
    Not sure yet but I was thinking the Smokestacks with a pull switch.
    That would be a great setup. Best of both worlds. It would be like having a regular strat with a supercharge switch.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
    Terrific looking guitar there Bry, and thanks for posting the pics.

May I ask what is involved in fitting a two-post trem like that? - is it at all tricky drilling the body for the inserts and what kit do you need? I have half an idea for a future HSH super-strat project that might use a similar trem, but it I have to invest in some sort of fancy drill press thing, it's maybe a no-go for me. I've done all my previous builds with just a simple hand drill.
    Re: drill press vs hand drill, I blu tack-ed a spirit level bubble to the back end of my drill and made some (if I say so myself) rather straight holes for trem posts. You can get them off eBay for a couple of quid or less. Worked for me.