RIP John Abercrombie

MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
edited August 23 in Guitar Chat
One of the first really "out there" jazz guitarists I heard (thanks to the local record library having some of his ECM recordings). A true great, and important jazz musician, with a unique sound, which I happened to love. We've been losing too many great jazz guitarists of late, really sad news to hear today.

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 661Member
    Wow, didn't hear about John. So sad. Of course, when musicians die is often when I start getting into them, so I'll check him out now!
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member
    Sad to hear of another passing that has made the world musically poorer. Always sad to when the person is not really that old.

He certainly made an impact on music though. May he rest in peace.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
    Thank you Mark - there have been a few jazz guitarists that I greatly admire passing away at unexpectedly young ages lately. And I somehow feel I need to say something, but do hope I won't be posting more RIP threads for a while at least.
    Are you a Walter Becker fan, Megi?

Are you a Walter Becker fan, Megi?

Sad to hear about Walter dying, and yes I suppose I'd have to say a fan - I certainly like and admire the music he created. Although saying that, for some reason I've never really delved deep into the world of Steely Dan, that's still something I plan to get around to! So I don't have a longstanding relationship with the music I guess.

I do utterly love this version of Walter Becker's song "Book of Liars" by fabulous British jazz singer Sara Colman:

That is a great version. I just can't get into Steely Dan at all. Perhaps there's something wrong with me!

It's always sad to see esteemed musicians leave the planet. As long as there are others to carry on the music, life will go on. There won't be another Freddie, Hendrix or Becker, but there will be other people doing other things.
    It's all subjective isn't it? It's art, not science, and no right or wrong when it comes to musical taste. Some things we respond to instantly, others we don't - sometimes we can find things with a bit of time listening, and other things just don't seem to make a connection.

I've sometimes felt that Steely Dan's stuff could be a bit emotionally non-engaging - great, cool grooves, top notch musicianship, impeccable composition and beautifully put together, and yet...

But I reckon I'm learning to like it! It might be the obvious choice, but I think Aja is a terrific album - maybe start with that one if you haven't tried it? I guess there is perhaps a bit of a cool reserve about the music (re the "emotion" issue) - I find I can like the music for that very quality now - basically I like the music for all the things it is, rather than worrying about what it isn't. I don't suppose any music can be all things to all people. :)
    Absolutely! Yup, one man's Meatloaf is another man's Poison ;-) I think that with Steely Dan I always felt like a Philistine because I didn't like them. Frankly, friends shouldn't make friends feel guilty about musical taste. I should know, being into Prog rock. It's always been unfashionable in all circles except its own. No idea why. It's not the musicianship, it can't be because it's not in the charts, because musos won't care about that.
    Friend of mine convinced me to get an Alan Holdsworth album and I just hated it! I had to delete it from my iTunes because just seeing it there would make me angry!!

Perhaps there's something in your informative musical years that is always there, and if music doesn't have THAT whateveritis then you can't get into it. Dunno.

WEird innit?
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,862Member
    I can't stand ELO.

I mean... I really hate it.

I have to pull the car over the side of the road if Mr Blue Sky comes on. I get that angry.
    edited September 6

Absolutely! Yup, one man's Meatloaf is another man's Poison ;-) I think that with Steely Dan I always felt like a Philistine because I didn't like them. Frankly, friends shouldn't make friends feel guilty about musical taste. I should know, being into Prog rock. It's always been unfashionable in all circles except its own. No idea why. It's not the musicianship, it can't be because it's not in the charts, because musos won't care about that.
    Friend of mine convinced me to get an Alan Holdsworth album and I just hated it! I had to delete it from my iTunes because just seeing it there would make me angry!!

Perhaps there's something in your informative musical years that is always there, and if music doesn't have THAT whateveritis then you can't get into it. Dunno.

WEird innit?

You certainly shouldn't feel guilty or at all embarrassed about your taste in music Nick - prog might be seen as a bit nerdy, but it does aspire to express a bit more than the average bland pop ditty - I think that's a good thing. Steely Dan may just not be your kind of thing also - no fault of theirs, or yours. Re Holdsworth, I am a fan I suppose, but even so I have to be in the right frame of mind.

I can't stand ELO.

I mean... I really hate it.

I have to pull the car over the side of the road if Mr Blue Sky comes on. I get that angry.

:D I can understand, although I admit to owning a gatefold copy of "Out of the Blue" when I was younger. There are things by The Jam that I can't abide to this day, not to mention a lot of that nice, charming, clever stuff that Sting released after he left the Police. I could go on, but perhaps had better not.
    Thank you Graham. That feels much better. This is quite cathartic, really.
    With Alan H, I appreciate his music more than I like it. That to me makes it awkward. For me, an unlistenable genius. I like interviews with him, though. He's very self effacing.

LOL this is interesting... I don't want to start a 'Tell me bands you hate' thread, but it's tempting!

Oh I'm with you on Sting. Blimey.

Classic US, Southern Rock makes me want to kill radios. Creedence Clearwater Revival is just awful. And if I hear "American Woman" one more time I'll turn green and throw cars across the street.

I can also live without all country, folk, opera and rap. Ok, let's not go there.

What else is funny is that I LOVE ELO! But I completely understand disliking Mr Blue Sky. A bit too syrupy!

I generally can't stand anything with a tambourine in it.

I generally can't stand anything with a tambourine in it.

Does that mean you can't play a song for me?
    Anyone who can play a song on a tambourine is a better musician than me.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,530Member, Moderator
    I have a tambourine which I play when necessary but I must say it is the simplest and yet the hardest instrument to play. Why? I am primarily a guitarist and guitarists produce the required sound during the down or up strokes. Tambourine players produce a sound just after the end of the tambourine's travel, when the jingles then move, and thus I play tambourine behind the beat - and too far behind it in my estimation. If I use my other hand as a stop then I can be on the beat but not every song calls for it. I admire people who can play the tambourine well- For me, Jack Ashford is the man.

Anyone who can play a song on a tambourine is a better musician than me.

Oh I find that hard to believe!
    Lester said:

I have a tambourine which I play when necessary but I must say it is the simplest and yet the hardest instrument to play. Why? I am primarily a guitarist and guitarists produce the required sound during the down or up strokes. Tambourine players produce a sound just after the end of the tambourine's travel, when the jingles then move, and thus I play tambourine behind the beat - and too far behind it in my estimation. If I use my other hand as a stop then I can be on the beat but not every song calls for it. I admire people who can play the tambourine well- For me, Jack Ashford is the man.

Good grief I had no idea it was so complicated!

Thank you Graham. That feels much better. This is quite cathartic, really.
    With Alan H, I appreciate his music more than I like it. That to me makes it awkward. For me, an unlistenable genius. I like interviews with him, though. He's very self effacing.

LOL this is interesting... I don't want to start a 'Tell me bands you hate' thread, but it's tempting!

Oh I'm with you on Sting. Blimey.

Classic US, Southern Rock makes me want to kill radios. Creedence Clearwater Revival is just awful. And if I hear "American Woman" one more time I'll turn green and throw cars across the street.

I can also live without all country, folk, opera and rap. Ok, let's not go there.

What else is funny is that I LOVE ELO! But I completely understand disliking Mr Blue Sky. A bit too syrupy!

Alan H was, for me, a true artist - people get hung up and all intellectual about the technique, complex chords and stuff like that, but for me it's just that he had real and unique things to say through music.

And I actually do like a lot of Southern Rock and indeed Creedence Clearwater Revival :D And all the kind of LA/San Francisco hippy rock (like the acts associated with Woodstock) is another enthusiasm of mine, I suppose a related area of music.

Probably there's some Country I'd not want to lose, and I do enjoy some opera too - Handel for example, Mozart of course, also Wagner. Folk music - I really struggle to get on with most of that I admit, and rap is not a thing I naturally gravitate towards, although there are things I've heard that I liked.

edited September 10
    I'm not sure we can still be friends, Graham.
    /edit/
    A reply has taken too long and I feel bad. J/k Megi. Bring over your Holdsworth opera DVD collection any time mate!
    Rap Music.

Told you.

I can't stand anything with a tambourine in it.