Taking the boy to get his first new guitar.

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
edited August 8 in Guitar Chat
Jake (one of the twins) is back from University for the summer and has been working all of it - he's a sailing coach and crew on the local ferry. He has what amounts to a full time wage and so has saved a lot of money, which he needs to see him through next year.

In his spare time he's picked up one of my guitars and (incredibly) learned to play it to a high standard in just several months. He's a genuinely gifted kid ! I'd say he's doing grade six stuff already.

His birthday is looming so we're going out to town so he can try out some steel strings (he has my Yamaha classical at the mo.) Project Music, Mansons and maybe the Music Centre the other side of the city. It'll be fun even if I'm not the one buying. And a trip to the pub of course.

Target £300. I'd encourage him to go to £500 for the one. Money from wages, gramps and us.

(The other twin couldn't find work in time owing to the awkward dates of his exams but has used his innitiative and become a Deliveroo rider instead... on my bike ! I'm proud of them both ! There are members of our family in their thirties who have never ever worked because 'there are no jobs'... apparently.)

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    Yay! What a brilliant trip to be on. You can't beat that buzz. Is it an acoustic he's after or electric?
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    Acoustic. First steel string.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 520Member
    That's one proud dad going shopping- good for you! I'm sure that will be a fun journey/weekend/never ending quest!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 796Member
    Proud dad moments are worth all the worries of bringing them up. Well done.
    Sigma guitars are reputed to be nice value Martin models (C F Martin once owned the brand) and will be in that price bracket. Of course our own Richard will have great options in that price range too.
    We looked in the £500 range and looked at Sigma, Taylor, Yamaha, Epiphone, Faith...

And came back with this:

edited August 9
    Vintage V300m - not because it was cheapest at £200 but simply because it was best !

Beautiful tone, projection, construction, playability and looks.
    BTW - I wasn't being tight. Our part of the money was a round £100 whatever he was buying. The rest made up of other relatives' gifts and savings from his jobs.
  • AlidoreAlidore Posts: 527Member
    Very nice
    Pete.

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.”
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    It must be great to have a son following the guitar playing road. I've given up hope on that front with either of mine.

Good choice of the V300 from all accounts I've seen of that guitar. If it was the best you tried that makes it a good choice anyway!

I hope your son gets a lot of pleasure from the guitar. :smile:
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 796Member
    I think the only thing not to like about vintage brand is the name itself. Trevor Wilkinson has had a lot of input with these over recent years (mainly hardware), but thier consumer profile continues to rise.
    Nice choice.