Retail therapy! just ordered a Boss MS-3 multi effects/switcher thingy

Should arrive tomorrow! One of these things, just out in the last week or so:

:)

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 718Member
    Cor! All those jacks on the back... the possibilities must be endless! And MIDI too... drool....!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,877Member

Cor! All those jacks on the back... the possibilities must be endless! And MIDI too... drool....!

Not quite endless Nick - if I could alter anything, I think I'd add another loop, and make that one with a stereo option. But it's pretty close to my ideal solution I think - my current pedal board setup is capable of loads of great sounds, but I just don't tend to use them as much as I could, and I realised it's because I can't switch between different combinations and settings rapidly - this should address that. And the fact that it will allow me to integrate a couple of drive pedals I like, and my Zoom MS70-CDR (addicted to the particle reverb on that for lush ambient sounds) means it's a very good fit for me.

Some of the UK stores are already sold out of stock and waiting for more - I would have ordered from Gear4Music if possible, but didn't want to wait, so went with Reidys Music - pleased to find they use DPD (like G4M) so I can have fun tracking where my delivery driver is on a little map. Due to be delivered between 1.20 and 2.20 pm today! :)
    So you play in stereo? That must be fun. Ping....pong....ping...pong...
    I've never had a 'real' pedalboard (I've always had digital fx), so never got to experiment with fx loops and the like, but I can imagine how great it would be to have banks of presets with analog things.
    Mmm particle reverb is very cool. The Line6 M5 has some gorgeous washing ambient sounds on it. Add an expression pedal and it's fun for days.

Happy tracking! Are we going to get a photo tour of the new Megi Mega Rig?
    I haven't played in stereo, but have plans to, at least some of the time. Not sure I'd go for the ping pong delay stuff so much (although maybe), but stereo reverbs, stereo chorus, that kind of thing that spreads the sound does appeal.

The Zoom MS70-CDR is a great little unit with lots of modulation, delay, and reverb effects (you can chain up to 6 at once, in any order). Zoom have blatantly copied Line 6's particle verb, not ethical of them I know, but the pedal is an extremely handy, versatile little thing all the same. It will, I understand, respond to MIDI commands, but only via USB, so I may find myself investing in a MIDI to USB converter box for that, and then I could place it after the new MS-3, but use the MIDI from to MS-3 to control it. But I waffle on an as ever!
    And of course, photos will be forthcoming, although it may take me a while to get to grips with everything. I'm hoping the setup may actually end up looking a bit cleaner and less complex than the current one, even if it can do more.
    It's arrived safely anyhow - I like the look of it - very much a small footprint (27.5cm wide), but with a reassuring solid metal construction, and a fair bit of weight. The footswitches look/feel robust, but are smooth and not noisy to operate. A pro bit of gear really, built to withstand gigging use.

This is very definitely aimed at use on a pedal board with an amp or amps - there is no looper/built in drum machine/headphone jack or any of that kind of stuff, and just effects and a noise suppressor - and no amp models for use with a PC/recording/going direct through the PA. So a very focused product really, but I'd done my research and knew all this, and it suits me very well. I've no upcoming pedalboard essential gigs for a while, so I think I'll be cracking on with re-jigging things and figuring how the new setup will look. :)
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,892Member
    I don't understand. But good to buy and cheaper than a therapist.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,892Member
    It sounds very cheap for what it delivers at the price point. I'm sure it would cost thousands to buy the pedals individually.
    I'd LOVE to play in stereo. I don't know if many of the audience would appreciate, but I'd be happy.
    The MS70 looks great. 6 at once is very handy. Wow! Do you do much with MIDI?
    (Nah, waffle all you like!)
    Megi said:

And of course, photos will be forthcoming, although it may take me a while to get to grips with everything. I'm hoping the setup may actually end up looking a bit cleaner and less complex than the current one, even if it can do more.

Photos would be good. It helps fuel the GAS :)
    Thanks chaps - I think modern multi effect are indeed great value compared to the cost of buying individual units, although I'm prepared to accept that individual pedals can sound better. For myself, I've come to the conclusion that a multi unit is a great way of getting access to a nice wide range of delay, modulation, reverb and filter effects in a compact box, but digital modelling of overdrive and distortion sounds is less to my taste, so I like to have a couple of dedication drive pedals of my own for that. Which is why the Boss MS-3 seems a very good fit for me.

I've just spent a couple of hours playing through the presets anyhow - all the delays/modulations/reverbs seem lovely, and I'm really not taken at all with the drive sounds :D - they seem harsh and fizzy and unpleasant to me if I'm honest. I may be able to get a bit better results from one or more of the drives with a bit of tweaking, and this is just first impressions, but to be honest I'm not that bothered anyhow (face? bothered?) as I always intended to have my two favourite overdrives/distortions in two of the loops (a DopeFX Black Lotus overdrive, and turbo RAT distortion, if you're interested).

The built in tuner is actually pretty decent, which is a first for me, so I may decide to not have a separate tuner pedal on my board anymore. Also just the way the unit is designed to operate is excellent - very fast to switch between different effects banks and patches, and also just a one switch press to switch between patch switching and individual effects switching modes.
    Photos to come, but tomorrow I'm afraid Nick!
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,241Member
    Wow - great versatility and having the 3 loops is a good idea.

Built like a tank too, which is good.
    But so few controls, which would worry me. But I'm a slow learner!
    Any multi fx units I've had with only a few controls only have defeated me with their complexities of the multi-function aspects of controls.

I had a Boss GT8 for a while and it baffled me. Then I got a Michael Casswell instructional DVD on how to use the damn thing, and started getting sounds I liked.
    But it was too complicated for a dumb-ass like me and I stopped using it!

There were some excellent sounds on those clean settings in the demo, but I'm no expert on quality of the cranked up sounds. I'm not surprised to hear you say about harsh, fizzy, unpleasant drive sounds on the presets - it seems that all gear has presets for drive sounds like that - ghastly stuff.
    That's one of the areas that Michael Caswell DVD helped a lot on with the GT8 - how to do some tweaks to settings to get a drive sound similar to one an amp would have. Begs the question that if you can do that with tweaking, why not do it with the presets in the first place.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the basic (or comlicated?) functionality!

I'll continue to trundle along with my Vox Tonelab LE if I need multi-fx. Lots of knobs and buttons most of which do just one thing. :smile:

Good luck and hope it goes well. :smile:
    Thanks you Mark! Actually, having had a play with the MS-3 now, it is very well designed in terms of being quite intuitive to use - doubtless I have a few things to learn, but once I've got my sounds dialed in and stored as patches, it should be very simple, and nice, to use.

Some photos of the pedal board disruption that has been caused by this latest bit of retail therapy:

The "old setup":

Carnage!

The future, or something like it:

Things that may be for sale now:

Quite a difficult process, but I keep telling myself it's for the best... :D
    Cor... that is a lovely box of audiological wonderment... and the entire array is a veritable bounty of delights. Indeed, I am drooling.
    Dmmit.

Kidding really, I don't get jealous :) But that is a very cool looking device and it seems to have pared down your rig quite a bit, which I think is always a good thing. I didn't realise it was a multi-fx as well, so that's pretty cool.
    Nice job mate!

I think I'm a bit of a sucker for multi-fx gear and really love digging in to them and finding what I can do. I read an interesting viewpoint about complexity of devices and what we consider a good tone. If you take something that is versatile, you will invariably have a lot of tones you don't like in it, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad. You just have to know how to tweak it to get the sound in your head. I've found lengthy articles discussing the right way to use the Boss GT-8 and there really are ways to make it sound awful, and guidelines to get better tones. I'm super happy with it at the moment, but haven't dived too deeply in yet. There's a LOT to learn, and I'm good with that. I like my presets :D

Ok, pics out of the way... how's that demo video coming along :D ?

When's the Megi's Mega Sale of Mega Stuff on then?
    Cheers Nick - the fact it's a multi fx as well as a controller is really the key thing for me, and what sold me on the idea in fact. I find for my pedal board setups, I love the huge range of effects you get with a multi, and the ability to chain them in different orders, and have patches with different settings for the same effects. That's difficult to replicate with individual boxes, and even if you going to try, you'd need a very large setup. But at the same time, I do want to have the odd individual pedal that I really like as well, and it's a pain to have these integrated with the multi fx. So this new gizmo seems like a very good idea to me.

Your comment about needing to work with any unit for a while to get the best out of it is well made - I'll keep that in mind.

Demo video, now you are being funny... ;D

As to the mega sale, I'll keep you informed - I'll probably advertise the stuff on thefretboard.co.uk forum, when I'm sure I definitely don't need it. The Zoom G3 will be a bit hard to part with, because it's done sterling service, and sounds great, but really, the MS70CDR has most of the same effects models I like, and the new MS-3 also replicates all the things I used the G3 for. I'm also debating whether to keep the Hardwire HT-6 polyphonic tuner, as it's a brilliant bit of kit, but the tuner on the MS-3 seems fine for my needs.
    I've always been put off by the twiddling of knobs that would be necessary between songs. You might want different chorus settings at different times, so having presets is quite vital.
    Glad to see you've found a gadget that works with you. There's so much stuff out there, I think the interface is just as important as the sounds.

LOL Doh, no video then? Too bad.. :)

Can't promise I'll have any spare cash, but I welcome the temptation. Of course, you know that you will regret selling anything. That's my experience anyhow.

edited July 21
    No hard sell from me Nick, and cheers! Just happy to let you know about the sell off when it happens, in case of any use. I'll probably also sell a TC Dark Matter distortion and TC MojoMojo overdrive I don't use with the other stuff, plus I've realised I won't need the little buffer pedal, top right in the "future" pic I posted above - the guitar is going straight into the MS-3, which I'm sure will take care of that just fine.

Just setting up and getting the wires in place and everything cable-tied underneath the pedal board today. I think ultimately I going to sell my existing pedal board, which is roughly 60cm x 40cm, and replace with a 60x30cm one as well. So the pile of stuff to sell seems to be growing! - but that's fine, I should get back a bit of my outlay on the MS-3.

Sorry re the demo video! - I've not done anything like that before, and who knows I may try, but my record on delivering such things is not good I have to admit. I lack the confidence, and also the know-how and recording/video setup. There are some good demos of the unit by pro type people on Youtube, although I guess these are designed to sell the thing, so a bit of a positive bias there.

Anyhow, there is still a bit of wire tidying to do under the board, but so far it's refreshing how much simpler it's looking than before. The pedals are not arranged as I originally thought they might be - I woke up this morning wanting to get on with the job, and also with a fresh ideas about how things should be. It's a bright new dawn in effects pedal board evolution, or something... More pics to come, at least I can promise that. :)
    Just to add - yes, I think you're spot on re presets being vital for anyone remotely interested in having a decent palate of accessible sounds. For those who just have a distortion and a delay, maybe not, but otherwise, yes. Something I've learnt from recent experience, but so true - if only I'd known that before, I might have done things differently, and spent less money perhaps. But we live and learn.
    So, a couple more pics of the new, simpler, but (I hope) more versatile and user-friendly pedal board setup. I've done nothing other than plug in the power supply and check everything lights up, which happily it all does. You can see that the board is now a fair bit bigger than it needs to be, but I'll live with things like this for a while. It looks good and purposeful I think! :)

Cleaner and simpler underneath also - you can tell how much more complex the previous wiring was by all the now unused cable tie mounts.