Another past blast and V100 question

Hi all,

I was on the forum many years ago and used to waste time playing guitar pairs if anyone remembers that!

I play at home and at church but would like to take it further if I got the chance.

I also have an addiction to cheap guitars - I like to mod and play around but am a bit cack handed so only dare do it if the guitar isn't worth loads.

My latest addition is a JHS Vintage V100 - Vintage is such an irritating name, searching for it throws up a lot of non-cheap guitars! The finish quality isn't great but it plays nice :)

Anyway it's a Goldtop with snot green tuners and a 2 humbuckers - a combination JHS seem to deny exists. It's S/N I62120272 (maybe IG2120272?). If anyone can give me any info on it that would be great - dates, whether it's JHS stock or been modded. I removed the bridge pickup but it had no name. I'm guessing the "I" may mean made in Indonesia?

Daveeff

Comments

• daveeff101daveeff101 Posts: 10Member
    I should have said it has gold hardware - sort of gold, by the time I cleaned the green off it was fairly silver!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    No idea. Sorry.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 520Member
    Hi Dave! Or is that Mr Eff?
    I'm afraid I don't know much about Vintage guitars, or vintage guitars. I know what you mean about Googling 'vintage'. Drives me nuts too!
    But I did manage to find out that it would be I6 and not IG, as the I does indeed stand for Indonesia. Someone else had one that started with I0 (eye zero).
    I imagine that if you can date ones with similar numbers you could extrapolate a date for yours.

So what else do you play at church, gear wise?
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    You'll find details of current ranges on the JHS site in case you've not seen that. But lines do get discontinued so your one may well not be shown.
    Looks like the Vintage V100 Midge Ure Goldtop has green tuners for example.
    jhs.co.uk/brands/vintage/vintage-electrics/vintage-reissued-electrics/vintage-v100mu-midge-ure-gold-top
    There's Vintage Icon series and Vintage Re-Issued series. I would have wondered before seeing the above comments whether an "I" could mean "Icon"?

I used to have a black V100 with gold hardware. That did turn silver over time!
    It did punch above its weight but I no longer have it.
    However I still have a V100 Lemon Drop (with the Peter Green pickup arrangement) - an astonishingly good guitar for its price point - the best value for money electric I've ever had. The finish (supposedly relic) is crap but it plays and sounds beautifully.

They mostly have Trevor Wilksinson hardware which is a big point in their favour.
    Hi Mark - I think the Icons all distressed (to look like the particular "icon" guitar). I'm pretty sure the "distressing" on mine is genuine wear!
    I'm going with Nicholas (Paul?) and the "I" meaning Indonesia.

edited July 11
    >So what else do you play at church, gear wise?

These days I'm noodling harmonies & licks around another guy playing acoustic & sometimes another guy playing clean strat so I've been using a Westfield E7000 (I told you I like em cheap) 335-a-like
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westfield-E7000-Electric-Guitar-Wine/dp/B007O97YMM

through a fender frontman http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Frontman-25R-Guitar-Amp-With-Built-In-EQ-And-Reverb-/122473601544

using a KORG AX30G for buckets of chorus and reverb & occasionally some flange or crunch.
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/product/korg-ax30g

I think the processed, toppy sound mixes well (cuts through without drowning) with the acoustic rhythm parts and congregational singing.

I tried the v100 but it sounded better with the effects backed off. I'm going to experiment :)

Cool! I've not heard of Westfield, but that looks pretty nice. A semi acoustic can be really versatile and fits worship music really well. I play bass and keys at church these days, but when I played guitar I found the same thing about toppy sounds mixing well, without sounding too much like the Edge! I used to have a Korg A2 that was great for chimey and chorusey things. I think it's all about finding space amidst everything else and adding something when you can. Fun times!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
    Just to say hi and welcome back Dave - I'm not sure if you were around a few years ago when I first started posting, my memory isn't always brilliant, but somehow I think you were. Not that it matters, good to have you back on the forum, please stick around mate! :)
    Thanks for the welcome :)

I don't think Westfield are with us anymore, from what I've googled they were a Scottish importer of Chinese made kit which I really like.

I got the E7000 off ebay, new for around £100 with a used hard case as a bit of a cheap punt on a semi acoustic. I really love the v. slim neck, which is bound and just feels nice. I paid someone for a pro setup & it plays lovely.

A friend had a big Westfield electro acoustic which he wanted rid of. Again I loved the neck & it was cheap enough to risk sanding down the bridge, after which it had super low action. Though the bridge buzzes on the low E which I need to sort out.

Oh gosh I see why my wife thinks I have too many guitars(!)

I also have a "travel guitar". I bought a 3/4 sized Westfield Strat & sawed the body & headstock down. I leave it in the car for lunchtime noodling!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Oh gosh I see why my wife thinks I have too many guitars(!)

If you can admit that, it's worse than anyone thought possible.
    Stage 1 is admitting you have a problem, admitting you can understand someone else thinks you have a problem is just empathy.

I do have the Tee Shirt:

I HAVE TOO MANY GUITARS
    (said no one, ever)

Which causes panic until people get close enough to read the small print
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    "Too many guitars".
    I understand each of those words but put together like that they make no sense at all!

Hi Mark - I think the Icons all distressed (to look like the particular "icon" guitar). I'm pretty sure the "distressing" on mine is genuine wear!

You're much better off with the real "distressing". The attempt at recreating that artificially on my V100 Lemon Drop is pathetic, but I can't see it when I'm playing and it sounds and feels great so I can live with the shame!
    When I bought it there was no choice of a non-distressed version or I would have gone for that. Then it would just be my playing that's distressed.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 796Member
    How many guitars is enough?

Just one more.

;-)
    ESBlonde said:

How many guitars is enough?

Just one more.

;-)

Absolutely right!
    http://richardsguitars.co.uk/index.php?p=/discussion/37719/you-do-the-maths#latest
    Or if you "accidently" buy two, sneak them in one at a time?