Quickest Change of Mind about a Guitar

Mark PMark P Posts: 2,226Member
I'm wondering what is the quickest time for other members from getting a new guitar home to realising it was a mistake and deciding to return it / sell it?

I've beaten my own record by miles this week. Less than half an hour after getting home!

What I should have done was buy the shops small soundproof room that I tried the guitars in, because it was the acoustics of the room and what it did to the guitar sounds that made me think it was a better guitar than what I already had. What a prize fool!

More than a little embarrassing ringing up to see if they'd take the guitar back, and even more embarrassing actually going into the place the next morning to return it. They were very, very good about it though - as Scayles always are.

I'll maybe have the nerve to show my face in there again one day.

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom once. I had it for a week or so, then I played one song on it at a rehearsal and decided it had to go back. That's my record so far.
    Oh, and I changed a Washburn MG series next day because it was a white HSS and I really wanted HSH, but they only had HSH in metallic purple. Purple won in the end.
    Oh, and I changed a vintage white Fender California Series Fat Tele for a black one after a day, as well.

I'm crap, aren't I?!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member
    I got a Schecter 7 string at the end of 2015, as I had an idea to experiment with the expanded range of chords available. It took me until the beginning of this year to admit defeat and sell it, but to be honest, I think part of me knew I was never going to bond as soon as it arrived.

Selling the Schecter allowed me to justify to myself buying the Ibanez AS103 I got a few months ago (for about the same outlay as the Schecter) - with that one, I had a strong hunch I'd like it, although I did buy off someone on the interweb without trying. But as soon as I had it, I was feeling immediately that I loved the guitar - which is how it needs to be I reckon.

Failure! :(

Success! :)

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,805Member
    To be fair on shop and guitar - every room has a sweet spot.

I used to pick a venue for its acoustics as much as anything.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 600Member

Oh, and I changed a vintage white Fender California Series Fat Tele for a black one after a day, as well.

I'm crap, aren't I?!

LOL that's too funny. Hey if it doesn't anyone, who cares?!

That's an interesting story, Megi. I've toyed with the idea of getting a seven string but I can see how it could be hit or miss. You really nailed it with that Ibanez. That is one stunning guitar.

For me, it was a few months, which I'd consider quite quick. A lot longer than half an hour! I bought an Ibanez acoustic while visiting Wolverhampton a couple of years ago. It sounded and felt great in the shop, and the narrow neck helped the sale. But when a friend had his Korean Breedlove for sale and I tested them side by side, there was no contest. I had become rather dissatisfied with the lack of life in the Ibanez but didn't want to say anything. My wife agreed on the sound so I felt much better about selling it.
    Still, it's just gear isn't it?

When I got my Rickenbacker I just knew it was right. It had the 'Can't-put-it-down' factor that I usually look for.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member
    Nick - re the 7 string, I don't think I'll try again, I've too many 6 string years under my belt now. But for FWIW, I found the 26.5" scale a bit of a pain for some of the stretchy jazz chords I like to use, especially when down near the headstock end. And also it means you have to faff about with different string gauges. Your going to need something like a 64 gauge at least for the low B/A anyhow, so I thought it would have been better to get a 25.5" scale 7 string, and then you can use your normal gauges plus just a bit heavier still for the low B/A. Some 7 string sets have something like a 56 or 58 low string, which seemed to me nowhere near heavy enough - just flaps about, buzzing on the frets, with a horrible tone.

So that's one thing, and the other is I don't like EMG pickups - the ones on the Schecter were said to be a bit more warm/vintage (choose your adjective) than some, but to be honest I found them sterile and uninspiring. Ibanez make some not too pricey 25.5" 7 strings that look a better bet to me. All just my opinion of course, and only posting FWIW in case you find yourself seriously contemplating a 7 string. :)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,226Member
    I'm glad to see other fast turnarounds - not just me then!

Aye, no quibble with the guitar or the shop. The guitar was good - it just turned out it was only as good as what I already had and not, as I had thought, better.
    I should have taken my own guitar in with me to compare, but I just popped in on impulse for a browse.

I'd just sold some gear on flea-bay, and it's dangerous to go into a guitar shop when there's sale proceeds burning a hole in the pocket.

Megi said:

Nick - re the 7 string, I don't think I'll try again, I've too many 6 string years under my belt now. But for FWIW, I found the 26.5" scale a bit of a pain for some of the stretchy jazz chords I like to use, especially when down near the headstock end. And also it means you have to faff about with different string gauges. Your going to need something like a 64 gauge at least for the low B/A anyhow, so I thought it would have been better to get a 25.5" scale 7 string, and then you can use your normal gauges plus just a bit heavier still for the low B/A. Some 7 string sets have something like a 56 or 58 low string, which seemed to me nowhere near heavy enough - just flaps about, buzzing on the frets, with a horrible tone.

So that's one thing, and the other is I don't like EMG pickups - the ones on the Schecter were said to be a bit more warm/vintage (choose your adjective) than some, but to be honest I found them sterile and uninspiring. Ibanez make some not too pricey 25.5" 7 strings that look a better bet to me. All just my opinion of course, and only posting FWIW in case you find yourself seriously contemplating a 7 string. :)

Wow that's some heavy low strings. My bass D string is a 65! I haven't really looked into string gauges for 7 strings, but it sounds like a faff. I'm also afraid that all my 6 string years would hold me back, though I do like to try new things. I strung a guitar as a baritone for a little while but never played it so switched it back. Anyway, this is good to know. I don't know if I will ever get a seven, but a shorter scale would definitely be better, or a multi scale. Oh the options! Thanks for the info:-)
    And yea, I've heard enough to stay away from EMGs. Yikes!
    Mark P said:

I'm glad to see other fast turnarounds - not just me then!

Aye, no quibble with the guitar or the shop. The guitar was good - it just turned out it was only as good as what I already had and not, as I had thought, better.
    I should have taken my own guitar in with me to compare, but I just popped in on impulse for a browse.

I'd just sold some gear on flea-bay, and it's dangerous to go into a guitar shop when there's sale proceeds burning a hole in the pocket.

Hey don't feel bad! We all have impulses. At least you don't have a collection of stuff that you know you don't need but can't/won't sell. That would be wasteful.
    I once bought a wireless unit on impulse and took it back about three days later. Our church had a zillion frequencies buzzing around with other radio stuff and it was a nightmare finding space for it, so I gave up. Cables aren't so bad really.