So.... whadda I do next ?

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
edited June 26 in Guitar Chat
I got a Samsumg S5 phone from work.

I got me a Rhode NT3 mic

I got me some wires 'n stuff to connect up.

I want to do some YouTube vids with grrrreat audio. Guitar lessons and things.

The S5 camera is stonking. The NT3 mic is a great detail picker-upper.

I have managed to get the NT3 to record audio on the laptop - though it is quiet, the fidelity is utterly brilliant.

So I've decided that the best thing to do is record the images on the phone independently whilst recording the audio into the laptop and to edit them all up later.

So ... whadda I do next ????

(I don't know why but I've found Audacity draws me into a dead end. People rave about it but I don't get it. Having said that I am not a computer natural and end up dead-ended with most things very quickly. A brick wall with no options.)

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,505Member, Moderator
    I would suggest you look at Reaper, a proper DAW. It is open-source and thus only 60 US dollars. You can try it for 60 days free of charge. There is also a dedicated forum for its users.

The NT3 should serve you well.

My experience has been that separately recording video and audio makes for a lot of work as they don't record perfectly in time with each other. Why, in this digital age, I have no idea, so just take that as a word of caution; you may be lucky. I am not suggesting you abandon your idea as better quality audio is a good thing.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 520Member
    A second vote for Reaper. If you can't do it with Reaper, you don't need to. As an engineer once told me year ago, the DAW is about getting binary information in, so you're not going to better quality from anything else anyhow. I've been using Reaper for a few years now and just love it.

Lester's right - syncing audio is for the birds. I do my videos with an iPhone or iPad and a Griffin Guitar Connect cable meant for apps like Amplitube. If the iPhone version doesn't work for Android there will be an android version. It has a three ring mini jack that goes in the phone, a 1/4" jack that goes in an audio out jack and a headphone out jack that you won't use in this application. I have the 1/4" jack plugged into a line out on a mixer, into which my overhead mic and guitar are plugged.
    So, whatever audio you want goes into the mixer (amp and vocal mics, for example), line out to the phone cable, phone cable to the phone which is recording video and audio at the same time. If you check out my YouTube channel there are few recent demos recorded this way.

There is a condenser mic just above my head, and the guitar is going into a Boss GT8 into the mixer, but i could just as easily mic an amp, with the mic going into the mixer.
    If you don't have a mixer there are lots of small ones available. Just pick the one with as many inputs as you need.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    Such a pity.

I may have to abandon the idea of videos as the mic into phone thing does not work. It just records using the onboard mic instead.

I thought this would be easy !

Thanks for the ideas chaps. I may have to go audio only then.
    I wonder....

could I USB the cameraphone into the computer and use it as an outboard camera like I'm using the mic outboard ?

Any ideas, anyone ?
    You could always get a skype video camera for the laptop. They might be even higher quality than the phone.
    More money ??? Good idea though.
    Yea fraid so.
    Webcam, that was the word I was thinking of!
    Like most things, it takes either money or time. Id surprised if there really is no guitar cable for Android. I know it would be more money, but it would be the simplest. No matter how many cables you have , you always need one more!
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,505Member, Moderator
    Cheap, easy, quality - pick whichever two are most important for you and the remaining one will be the opposite of what is written.
    Lester - that is very VERY clever !
    Nicely done Lester. Or as they say in my industry, (and others) -"Fast, cheap or good - you can only have two!"
    Although some say you can only only one.

Kevin, I would say the answer without spending money would be to capture the audio with video separately and sync afterwards. This guy does it on every single video -

I've not tried it, but the answer would probably be to use a type of clapperboard so you can see and hear what needs to be synced. Clapping your hands, two sticks or something similar should work.
    And if you try this, share the results :-) I'd love to see how it works out.
    By the way, if you do plan on investing more into this venture :) the IK Multimedia 2 will work with the Samsung Galaxy S5 –
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/
    GAK have them for £33.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    I found using some types of software where a video and an audio file can be uploaded separately that a synch job was OK if the sound wave patterns were showing well enough for both. Slide one so that the peaks match with the other.

Bit I have been finding most video production software to be a pain where I don't want one. Difficult to work out how to perform necessary functions, hugely time consuming and hogging huge quantities of disc space. Especially irritating where file conversions are needed.

Having said that I've now got a camera with a decent microphone on it and I think I've only used it twice in 13 months to record music. Something about a video record button being on makes my playing fall to pieces in a way that an audio record button doesn't.

If the iRig 2 is as good as the iRig Acoustic Stage recording system it should be worth considering. IF you have the right sort of phone. I don't, as I do not understand how to use modern technology - I think I need to retreat to my old 20th century cave dwelling!