George Ezra - Long awaited release.

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member

Pure genius. Three years or so since his last. Who's been holding him back ?

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    This post was sarcastic, btw.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
    Lost on naive old me I'm afraid KP - I have to admit to ignorance of George Ezra, and a lot of the current pop crop for that matter. And he does have, dare I say it, a decent, distinctive singing voice. Did think the song was a bit boring though, and not exactly overwhelmed generally, but didn't like to say... :D
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 520Member
    Lol ok now it's funny! I'd never heard of the guy. And didn't really want to say anything damming, but yea, it's not a very, um, powerful song. Maybe it will brighten somebody's day!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    I like him. But... I got frustrated when people said he was a genius and good for his age. I think it was just a paucity of talent at the time that gave him his break.

Nothing against the chap but all we were getting was "Genius !" this and "Genius !" that.
    He might be good but he ain't no genius!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
    Effusive over the top praising of new artists (and some older ones) seems common these days (hello the BBC) - I suppose enthusiasm is a good thing, and I don't really want to knock the artists concerned. It's all down to taste of course, but I tend to think that true greatness becomes more apparent with time, as the years pass, and also it becomes more obvious as to what were briefer spells in the limelight, of less musical importance. Those can be fun at the time, but also tend to be more of their time as well, and perhaps don't age so well.
    Very true. I don't want to think that it's my age talking, but I get tired of anyone under 25 being lauded as the next musical hero, a genius, brilliant, etc. If they can bring something new or refreshing then perhaps they could contribute, but I do see too much of a concentration on someone's age. To me, a 9yr old playing Flight of the Bumblebee just looks like pushy parents and a lack of social skills! Ok, I might sound jealous, or ageist or bitter, but honestly, I think there's more to a young person's life than being a star ahead of their time.
    Yea, let's stop calling musicians we like 'genius' or 'brilliant'.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    The media and commercial enterprises keep going for exaggeration and making things "big". As seen not just in music but in sport, weather, and just about any subject. It maybe is an attempt to distract us all from how crap and dull most things are. Or also of course trying to sell their product or service and attract people onto their internet pages to boost their advertising revenue.

I trawled through a load of iPlayer Glastonbury acts a couple of days ago to see if anything tickled my musical ear. A failure that was, but the descriptions for these acts and their performances put me in mind of those overblown descriptions of food in a snobby restaurant.
    How very true! It does sound like selling. It can be a bit of vicarious living too, with the attraction being the distraction from our own mundane lives.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,630Member
    Mark P said:

I trawled through a load of iPlayer Glastonbury acts a couple of days ago to see if anything tickled my musical ear. A failure that was

I did the same thing. I felt like I ought to make the effort and see what it is that I'm missing. But nope... nothing... zilch. I was unmoved. Even tried some Ed Sheerhan. Nope, don't get it. Worse still, I couldn't even watch Kris Kristofferson... one of my heroes and I had to turn it off.

I do start to wonder if it maybe that's it for me musically, that I'm "full up" as it were.