Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Help needed with Cort end pin jack socket

LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator

This is the end pin and jack socket on a Cort electro-acoustic.

Side view.

With a standard Ernie Ball strap on.

This is the problem - the strap can so easily fall off, which it does almost every time every time someone has finished playing and takes the guitar off. When a cable is plugged in it stops the strap from completely falling off.

The reason for the problem is that the flange on the end pin is not large enough.

If it was an ordinary end pin I would replace it but it is the jack socket for the electro workings so I cannot. I have thought about trying to find a large plastic washer, something I could cut through on one side so that I could get it on between the strap and the small flange and then glue the join closed.

What can you practical people suggest?

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,705Member
    I believe the red rubber washers you get on Grolsch lager bottles are sometimes used for this kind of thing - maybe worth a try anyhow? or if you can find another source of suitable rubber washers? The critical thing would be finding such washers with the right hole diameter so they stay on and prevent the strap coming off, but it's still possible to stretch the washer over the flange without too much trouble. Just a thought anyhow.
  • onemanbandonemanband Posts: 90Member
    edited June 18
    Yes, the rubber washers off Grolsch beer bottles work a treat, and you can enjoy the added bonus of a pint of Hollands finest too!!
    I have 2,359 of those washers, so I know......(hic)!! ;-)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 464Member
    Brilliant idea guys. I've splurged and bought the purpose made rubber washers (sorry, not that keen on Glosch!)
    I just found the beer washers on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grolsch-Spare-Washers-Swing-Bottles/dp/B0026WZB7W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_267_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D6YEFS4J6EFH2KCH884C
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator

I am too impatient - and don't like beer - so I took the plastic top from an empty milk bottle, cut out the flat part, then cut out a dot from the middle and then an extra sliver. Can you tell I grew up watching Blue Peter?

The aperture is large enough that I can work it over the end pin while being small enough that it cannot fall off the guitar.

Compare this photo with the 2nd last from the OP. Now, that is what I call a result, all for free, and from asking on a Sunday night to solving it on Monday morning. Thanks guys.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 464Member
    Impressive! And you can customise each one for different end pin shapes, if you need to. Nice job, Lester!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 789Member
    There is a dunlop plastic thingy (to use the correct technical term) that slips over and clips in place.
    It's called the Dunlop 7036 strap lock and they are less than £2 each. I've had one on my acoustic guitar since granny had short trousers and I'ts never given me cause for concern

First searcehd link was this (no association)
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/dunlop-7036-strap-lock-each?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CLTApKjUydQCFWGx7QodUw8DVQ

Puts you in control, looks the part and does an excellent job, you can even use it on multiple guitars if you only have one strap.