Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Fancy nuts...

...I have fitted to my pair of Shine SIL-510 guitars. They did have nuts that I made from bone blanks, but to be honest, although these worked OK, the tuning could be a bit hard to maintain, and in the end I decided for the small amount of money involved, it's better and easier to buy pre-shaped nuts and fit those. So I got a couple of posh bone ones for a little over a tenner from Vanson Guitars on the old evilbay - in fact this one with the fancy cut-away scallops between the strings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-High-quality-Vanson-Carved-43mm-Bone-Nut-for-LP-type-Electric-Guitar-LP3-/121549259911?hash=item1c4ce68487:g:h0AAAOxyYBJSMDwb

A fairly simple job to install and a nice fit on the Shine guitars, looks pretty, and after bringing the slots down a tad to get the action just so, the guitars are a lot easier to get and keep in tune. Took some pics of the fitted nut on the trans-grey/black Shine (has Ben Fletcher pickups fitted).

:)

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,503Member, Moderator
    That nut does look interesting as well as whiter than white.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,705Member
    Cheers Lester - I think it does add a bit of visual style and interest. You're also right that it's a bit on the pure white side - the binding is just slightly yellowed, so not a perfect match there. But still, looks smart in my opinion. :)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 464Member
    Yes very smart. What's the reasoning behind the scallops?

Yes very smart. What's the reasoning behind the scallops?

Looks pretty I think Nick - honestly can't think of any else plausible :D
    Fair enough! Lol I was wondering if the saved mass reduces certain frequencies, or the resonance between the strings can be... ok I'll shut up. Does look pretty, and that's good enough for me!
    Yes, I wondered about things like you mention Nick, but at the end of the day, frankly I doubt it makes any discernible difference. But it does look classy, which is reason enough in my book :)
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,704Member
    The scallops are so you can adapt it to bass or lead guitar.

The scallops are so you can adapt it to bass or lead guitar.

Why didn't I think of that? Genius! :D
    Now THATS fancy....and nuts.