Number Six is on its way.

124»

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Tru-oil on Swamp Ash (with a dark grain filler) looks great.

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 989Member
    Drool.....
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,191Member
    Jocko's tele looks awesome - the grain on that one is really interesting too, and well worth bringing out. A note of caution would be - careful using dark grain filler where the grain is end-on to the surface, such as where the strap pin is. It can look spotty and unnatural, and can be tough to get out again (I speak from experience). Jocko did a wise thing just using it on the top and back of the body with the build above.
    Megi said:

Jocko did a wise thing just using it on the top and back of the body with the build above.

You have a better memory than me, but right enough, I used natural grain filler to smooth out the sawn grain.

Well, I didn’t expect this.

I couple of weeks ago I was having trouble with the tuning on this guitar and noticed that the trem posts were leaning forward. That’s not good. I looked into what could be done and figured a little epoxy and redrilling the holes would do the trick. So I put it on the list and got round to it at the weekend.
    The finish on the fingerboard is going so well and started chipping off again. I can’t live with that. Also, I’ve never really been happy with the finish on the back after stripping it down and reapplying. It was still rough. Somethings not right. But the problem is I don’t really the time to refinish this thing, and fixing the trem holes doesn’t fill em with joy, so even though I don’t like to think of myself as a quitter, I am learning when to cut my losses.

So I stripped out the parts and flogged it on eBay!

Now I’m waiting for a new body and neck to come in the post.
    It’s going to be a little different, but I’m going to conjure number six from the ashes.

Watch this space...
    Just realised I didn’t explain....

What happened to the finish was the clear coat reacted with the colour and created a nasty bubbly effect. I stripped it down to refinish, But the brown on the back never came out the same. Rather than risk spraying again, which has never turned out well for me, I wiped on the poly but it didn’t turn out the way it has on other guitars. The brown back turned out rough, very odd.

Frankly I lost patience with finishing! I think the neck should have been stripped completely before refinishing as it had a Matt finish on it.

I just wanna play, man!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 963Member
    Sometimes things are tougher than we think and sometimes it's a breeze.
    I finally blew £100+ on a full set of nut files (rather that my cobbled together tools that have stood me in good stead for many a nut job), ready to sweeten my new Atkin. They arrived so I took to the job. First I knocked off the nut and sanded the bottom to get it in the ball park measuring with digital calipers as I went, which was more fiddly that I had hoped for. When I re-strung it to check for fine adjustment I decided it was as good as it needed to be and never used my fancy expensive new nut files. Didn't even need to adjust the bridge saddle!
    Oh well, I have my Lite Ashe Telecaster that could do with some nut slot refinement so the files will get put to good use soon enough. This job has waited years because I lost patience with it and moven on to my AVRI so I understand your frustrations.
    My nut files have been a great investment, both for my own and the myriad of friends and family guitars I have set up. Once I can get my grandson's new build back we will set the nut relief on that.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 963Member
    I agree Jocko, I've a set of needle files, an exacto blade and a junior hacksaw blade with the set hammered flat. Those and a set of welders nozzle cleaners has got me by for decades, just pull an old string through to burnish the finished slot. Not the easiest way to do it, but back in the day there were no nut files available to us enthusiasts. I have learned that the proper tool can make a lot of difference. I haven't done many nuts for a decade or so and didn't feel I had the need, so glad I have them now anyway.
    Jocko said:

Once I can get my grandson's new build back we will set the nut relief on that.

I am getting it back this Sunday.

I regularly window shop for nut files and decide that I’ve done so many with the old method that I decide that this will be the last nut I do anyway. As if! What I do is wrap sandpaper, or whatever they call the grey automotive abrasive paper these days, around a feeler gauge and measure with calipers. That’s to widen the nut. I use another gauge as depth stop for filing to the right depth. Works for me!

Well, I have the neck already (pictures will be available soon) and the body will be here in two weeks. Exciting!