Number Six is on its way.

13»

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,981Member
    Thanks Nick! To be honest, I was too focused on the detail aspect, and not considering the broader picture re the natural tone of the guitar, and what would suit it. Perhaps trying to turn it into a jazz archtop, instead of letting it excel at being a 335 type semi acoustic. I think with a good guitar, and good pickups, there will always be a reasonable amount of detail/string separation etc. - yes, for some guitars, it's appropriate to emphasize those aspects, but not always.

In the end, I feel now I've got a guitar that does the "Larry Carlton" pretty well, which I'm more than happy with - it has some vintage character, nice power and cut from the bridge for those smooth over-driven leads, the neck pickup is sweet for chordal and jazzy stuff, and the middle position actually has quite a chime-like quality and I can use that instead of a coil tap on the neck pickup. A good, simple setup. :)
    Just to add, the first pickup set I got from Ben Fletcher, for the ridiculous price of £50 for both, was an alnico 2 7K neck and alnico 4 10.5K bridge (the bobbins have about as much wire on as is possible), both installed in one of my Shine 510 guitars, and those are fabulous. I do have the bridge p'up a tad closer to the strings, but like that it has plenty of oomph, and sounds terrific - fat and strident, and lovely for lead work.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 818Member
    Megi said:

Thanks Nick! To be honest, I was too focused on the detail aspect, and not considering the broader picture re the natural tone of the guitar, and what would suit it. Perhaps trying to turn it into a jazz archtop, instead of letting it excel at being a 335 type semi acoustic. I think with a good guitar, and good pickups, there will always be a reasonable amount of detail/string separation etc. - yes, for some guitars, it's appropriate to emphasize those aspects, but not always.

In the end, I feel now I've got a guitar that does the "Larry Carlton" pretty well, which I'm more than happy with - it has some vintage character, nice power and cut from the bridge for those smooth over-driven leads, the neck pickup is sweet for chordal and jazzy stuff, and the middle position actually has quite a chime-like quality and I can use that instead of a coil tap on the neck pickup. A good, simple setup. :)

I’m sure you could easily have an identical guitar with different pickups and find room for them both in a collection. Having a Larry Carlton axe would be very useful and versatile though. A chimey middle position sounds like a nice thing. Sometimes middle can be a bit muddy with humbuckers, to me. I bet you’re happy :)
    Megi said:

Just to add, the first pickup set I got from Ben Fletcher, for the ridiculous price of £50 for both, was an alnico 2 7K neck and alnico 4 10.5K bridge (the bobbins have about as much wire on as is possible), both installed in one of my Shine 510 guitars, and those are fabulous. I do have the bridge p'up a tad closer to the strings, but like that it has plenty of oomph, and sounds terrific - fat and strident, and lovely for lead work.

With that description, I bet they are amazing. I love Alnico IVs, and a II in the neck would be sweet. I’ll come over for coffee sometime and give it a spin :joy:

You will be very welcome Nick! :)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 818Member
    Megi said:

You will be very welcome Nick! :)

:smiley: