Number Six is on its way.

2»

Comments

• daveeff101daveeff101 Posts: 10Member
    Wow, looking great. I thought it would be a single pickup job with just a volume pot - looking so clean and elegant as it is.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,790Member

Megi said:

Wilko's clear lacquer appears to be good stuff! So with the decals, when you say "use as normal" what does that actually involve? Apologies if I'm a bit slow on the uptake!

Oh sorry, I assume everyone grew up with Airfix kits!
    • Cut out with scissors.
    • Drop in a saucer of water for 30-60 seconds.
    • Slide off backing paper onto guitar (or Messerschmidt BF109/Spitfire/etc).
    • Let dry.
    • Stand in awe of your own brilliance.

Easy :)

Excellent. I love the decal too.

:smile:

Now relic it !

:neutral:
    LOL
    We'll see how the clear coat goes. That may still be an option!!
    So basically, get a few layers of clear finish dried on the headstock. Then apply decal as described above. Then, when dry, add more finish over the top? Sorry if I seem dense, just want to be clear, as I may want to try it myself, cheers Nick. :)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 600Member
    Lol nah it's all good! You only have to clear coat again afterwards if you feel like it. I didn't . I didn't feel like it.
    The decal needs to be clear coated as well as the guitar, both before the 'cut out with scissors' bit.

Wow, looking great. I thought it would be a single pickup job with just a volume pot - looking so clean and elegant as it is.

Thanks! Glad you like the look. Sometimes I just want fewer options and fewer controls. Trying to keep it simple sometimes is good.

Lol nah it's all good! You only have to clear coat again afterwards if you feel like it. I didn't . I didn't feel like it.
    The decal needs to be clear coated as well as the guitar, both before the 'cut out with scissors' bit.

Ah - this is the bit that confused me - so you spray clear finish on the decal before cutting out, dropping in water and sliding off the backing paper? I would never have thought of doing that!

You got it! No, it didn't occur to me either. Weird instructions but it makes them really tough. I wasted a couple of sheets trying to keep the ink dry. If you lacquer first, you really can't mess them up.
    Honestly.... you can't! I tried!
    It's been a while, but things are progressing, I've taken pics to prove it, and I'll upload them here shortly. It's been a crazy last few weeks, but I will get to it soon. Yea I know you're all waiting with bated breath :-)
    Cor, been a bit quiet here lately! Oh well, I'll post a couple of pics...

I was patient! I waited the required two months for the clear coat to harden and then began the wet sanding. Going from 600 grit to 800, 1000, 1500 and finishing with Maguiars compound and a touch of elbow grease, I got a finish I'm happy with. I'll give it another polish and maybe a light sanding beforehand when I'm done with everything else (nut, pickguard, bridge, etc).

Finishing finishing

Finishing finishing

Finishing finishing

That is looking really superb Nick, I love the shaped heel with inset ferrules for the neck screws, very nicely done. If it was me, I would so want to make that into my ultimate HSH pickup, floating trem superstrat type guitar - are you sure you don't want to do that?? :D (forgive me)
    Thanks G! Weeeelll, I kind of sort of have, actually! I bought a black SSS scratch plate for £2.57 and put in pickups I had lying around - a £4 Amazon rails, a neodymium single coil I made a while ago and another rails by Vanson, so essentially that's HSH! It was more out of impatience because I'm waiting for money to get the Fletcher pickups. Going with what I already have, I put in one push-pull pot and two DPDT mini switches, so I have volume, with coil split, one switch to switch between neck and bridge pickups and one switch to turn on/off the middle pickup. So I essentially have neck -neck and middle - bridge and middle - bridge plus coil splits. And I love it! That neck pickup is killer. It sounds like an overwound strat on steroids. And adding the middle pickup really gives it a straty in between sound. The split sounds aren't great, but I'll leave the switch in for now.
    I've also made up a pearl HSS scratch plate (only £6.99) with other pickups I have - a Fender Lace Sensor, GFS middle and a humbucker I built, that really needs to be rewound as it's a bit weak. I'll be asking Ben a fletcher to fix that for me. But I still need another pot and a 3way switch for that.
    Then when I get the spare funds I'll finish the original idea of a hot rails in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge.
    Three scratchplates. Lots of fun!
    Maybe I'll make an HSH one for it too... well see :-) this is certainly a cheaper way of having options without buying loads of guitars.
    Oh yea, I have pics, but need to upload them...
    Love reading all your pickups thoughts Nick - for a pickup nerd like me, it's very interesting. I think HSS is great as well, but as a jazzer, I find I like to have that neck humbucker tone available. Will love to see what pickups Ben does for the guitar if you're going that route.
    Hehe alright, I'll not hold back then lol. I have a tele-thing with a neck mini humbucker that I just love for jazz. It never gets muddy but is warm and articulate. Love it!

Unfortunately I've got a few things ahead of buying pickups that need to be paid for first (pfft, life hey?). Hopefully work will pick up (no pun intended) soon.

Ok couple more pics. Here's the HSS pickguard waiting for a second pot and knobs. That humbucker is the one I want to get rewound.

IMG_7941

IMG_7942

IMG_7943
    Wiring for the pearly hss will be 3-way for neck - neck & bridge - bridge, DPDT to switch middle on/off, volume and tone. The bridge pickup will only be 7.8k so I don't know if it's worth splitting. Don't care!

I just found a video showing how to turn a normal pot into a no load pot so I'll give that a true. Super simple!
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,519Member, Moderator
    That looks truly professional and you have managed to get the body shape and pickguard shapes far enough away from a Strat that the guitar looks very personal. Well done!
    Thanks Lester! Very kind of you. It certainly is fun and rewarding building a collection of unique instruments. Keeps me out of trouble (mostly).
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,226Member
    What a wonderful example of a unique instrument! Great looks and quality. :smile:

It's hard enough work to build just to a standard specification.
    Thanks Mark :) I'll have to put a video together and show a few of the tones I get. :)
    Brilliant work Nick - I love the look of that pearl scratchplate, especially with the chrome pickup covers - very classy somehow. I'd be wanting to make a separate guitar for each scratchplate, knowing how my brain works... :D
    Thanks Graham. Haha, wouldn't mind separate guitars either, but I'm running out of space!