natural looking guitar

waylonwaylon Posts: 31Member
Do You know any guitar with body looking like this?
https://gear4music.wordpress.com/2017/06/16/making-of-video-dolphin-pro-i-spalted-maple-top-16-3245-dark-bleached-red-transparent-high-polish/
I mean that in 1:55, without painting etc.
It's beautiful and natural. :)

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,504Member, Moderator
    That is a spalted maple cap on what looks like a swamp ash body. If you take an unusual shaped guitar, like Megi's self-designed Wave for example, and make one with a spalted maple top it can look as spectacular as it is unique.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 517Member
    Mmmm Love spalted maple! The pretty woods can be so expensive, though. That really puts me off, frankly. I've heard of a few companies moving away from exotic woods and using more locally grown and sustainable species. I'm not sure about spalted maple though.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,748Member
    Did someone mention my Wave guitar??

...doesn't have a spalted maple top - I just relied on the nice natural ash for effect. Any excuse though. Actually doesn't now have the same pickups as above, and I may yet change them again, although not sure. It's got Entwistle XS62N's at the mo:

Anyhow, I was very much going for a natural kind of look with this guitar, which I hope I achieved. :)
    Wow that's a great looking guitar, Any excuse - why not?!
    So how are the Entwhistles? They're not too expenseive either aren't they?
    Thanks for taking an interest Nick - the Entwistle pickups are, I would say, great value. The interesting features of the XS62N is they have a P90 type magnet arrangement, but using neodymium magnets no less, and with a strat pickup bobbin size. In terms of tone, they are kind of like a deeper-voiced version of a strat pickup - a strat who's voice has broken maybe lol. You still get the single coil character, and a bit of quack in positions 2 and 4, but somehow, everything sounds a bit deeper and darker.

I've also tried Entwistle's HDN neodymium magnet humbuckers - and it seems to me that overall, neodymium magnets seem very good if you want a higher output pickup that isn't harsh, as arguably ceramic magnet pickups can be. Neodymium seems to give a full-range, kind of "hi-fi" tone to me, with a wider frequency response compared to some traditional pickup types, and more defined and sparkly, but without an agressive treble spike in the response. Very versitile, and easily capable of handling jazz clean tones I've found, although perhaps not quite as warm as a good alnico pickup. Just my impressions though. :)
    Interesting... :) I've made a few neo pickups and found the same things. Punchy but not aggressive. Like an invited punch that brings a smile to your face but doesn't break your nose. How's the string pull on those things? The ones I made could spin the earth off its axis if I had them all in one guitar.
    Good pop music pickups I'd say, and good for clean sounds through effects. Powerful, clean, defined... The string pull actually doesn't seem too bad, although I tend to have my pickups adjusted a bit lower than some would.
    Megi said:

Good pop music pickups I'd say, and good for clean sounds through effects. Powerful, clean, defined... The string pull actually doesn't seem too bad, although I tend to have my pickups adjusted a bit lower than some would.

That's a good description. More funk, Prince, top 40 sort of sounds rather than rootsy blues 50's tones is how I've thought of Neos.
    If the string pull is ok, I just may have to pine after get a set too. They definitely warrant another guitar :) Oh look, I see Number 7 on the horizon...hehe!
    edited June 21
    Just had the thought that because I use 11s, the extra tension might also help with the string pull situation. If I have one criticism of the xs62n's, then I wish the bridge pickup was wound a bit hotter. From memory it's about 9 or 9.5K, I think from the coil size it must be 43 gauge wire. The neck and middle are about 7K or so, and 42 gauge wire I'm guessing - the coils are actually fatter than the bridge pickup. Anyhow, I think 11K on the bridge would have been good, but of course that's just me. I have thought that maybe having neck/middle XS62N's with a dual blade type bridge would be a nice setup.
    String gauge is a good point. I like a pretty hot bridge too. Perhaps an Alnico/Ceramic bridge rather than a neo, OR a hybrid with a neo single and an Alnico RWRP together, like Robbie Robertson's Last Waltz bronze guitar. Could be good...
    I suppose I was thinking an Artec alnico magnet bridge like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artec-Hot-Rails-Single-Coil-Humbucker-Pickup-for-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitars-/371624504430?var=&hash=item56868bec6e:m:mdCtLotR-GJOf90BEHU8LKg

I would guess even with the alnico magnet, that would be more than hot enough, and you could have it coil split to still give a bit of the strat quack kind of thing when combined with the middle pickup. Damn, I might have to buy one now... :D
    My Axesrus rail splits very nicely to quack on the in between sounds. Lovely thing.
    great plan!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    edited June 21
    There's no such thing as a *natural* guitar. I would expect that to at least have the bark still on it. Much less as shaped and well presented as a nubile young laydeee after a spa and beauty regime.
    You been hanging out in the woods near the lodge retreats with your binoculars again, Kevin?