Signed Guitars

StubblehoundStubblehound Posts: 106Member
I have been browsing my local auction house and see they have a guitar signed by Chubby Checker with a COA and photo of the signing. What surprised me was the price. It is estimated at £120 - £150. Am I missing something or am I over estimating the value of a signed guitar by a legend? Would it go for more if it was his own guitar?

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    There used to be a shop in Milton Keynes which sold all sorts of signed stuff, but it was all kind of "manufactured" if you see what I mean. They'd get a few cheaper guitars, like the most basic Squier Strats, say, and get someone like Bryan Adams to sign them and flog them off. So they weren't instruments that had ever been associated with the star, jsut a slightly more exotic way of buying their autograph. Maybe this is one of those ...
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 619Member
    I was in a toy museum in Mount Fitchett Castle where there are a dozen or so guitars signed by famous people. All the guitars are very cheap models - you wouldn't consider any of them as viable instruments. I'm sure someone would pay more than £150 for Chaz and Dave's autograph, no matter what it's on.
    Funny old world.
    I'd pay a helluva lot for Chas 'n' Dave's autographs (if they were on a document promising never to play or sing withing 50 miles of me) :lol:

I have been browsing my local auction house and see they have a guitar signed by Chubby Checker with a COA and photo of the signing. What surprised me was the price. It is estimated at £120 - £150. Am I missing something or am I over estimating the value of a signed guitar by a legend? Would it go for more if it was his own guitar?

Regarding the price if it was his own guitar, then yes the price could be sky high. I believe Jimi Hendrix' white "woodstock" Strat is still the most expensive guitar ever sold and it went for something like a quarter of a million dollars, but of course it depends on the star. I think a guitar owned and played by the legendary Screaming Dave may go for a bit less than that!
    I stand corrected. The Hendrix "Woodstock" Strat is the second most expensive guitar. The most expensive was a white Strat autographed by a host of legends sold in aid of the 2004 Tsunami, and it went for $2.7M.

https://www.stringjoy.com/most-expensive-guitars-ever-sold-top-10/

I'd pay a helluva lot for Chas 'n' Dave's autographs (if they were on a document promising never to play or sing withing 50 miles of me) :lol:

Haha I'll split the price with ya!

$2.7million would probably only buy a couple of Screaming Dave originals, from what I've heard.
    Yeah, but they'd be personally delivered and played to you in your front room (unless you paid extra :lol:)
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,816Member
    Signed guitar ? Not interested. The only artist worth his salt is the one who adds value to a guitar when he smashes it up.

Yeah, but they'd be personally delivered and played to you in your front room (unless you paid extra :lol:)

Haha it's a deal!

Signed guitar ? Not interested. The only artist worth his salt is the one who adds value to a guitar when he smashes it up.

Yea I don't get the signed guitar thing either. Bit odd. Polyurethane finishes do give you the option of cleaning it off, though.
    Pete Townsend must be worth a lot of salt!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,792Member
    I don't think it was signed, but I'm sure I saw an episode of the tastelessly named "Pawn Stars" where a chap comes in with a Hendrix strat, and well-documented ownership, wanting something like $600,000 dollars. And the business owner is immediately happy to start haggling in terms of hundreds of thousands - quite amazing. However, he's not really prepared to go much over about $400,000, saying he has to make an appreciable profit on such an item, and the seller is not taking that into enough account. So in the end they can't get to a deal. Interesting though.
    Yea, I've always hated the name of that show too... tacky...

Business is a funny thing. I have my own business (I'm a freelance graphic designer) so I have to wear a business hat a lot of them time, even when I feel more like a starving artist. Two things I don't full appreciate and don't think I ever should - one is supply and demand (why are hotel rooms more in July than February? I'm not getting more am I?), and the other is "Lower your price because I need to make a profit." Pawnbrokers do that all the time.
    No! YOU figure out your side of business, but my side of the deal is that 'I' want to make a profit! I mean, why should the seller drop $200k because someone else wants to make money? Grief!
    I always wondered why those guys don't put it on eBay (although the fees can be high)?

Yea, I've always hated the name of that show too... tacky...

Business is a funny thing. I have my own business (I'm a freelance graphic designer) so I have to wear a business hat a lot of them time, even when I feel more like a starving artist. Two things I don't full appreciate and don't think I ever should - one is supply and demand (why are hotel rooms more in July than February? I'm not getting more am I?), and the other is "Lower your price because I need to make a profit." Pawnbrokers do that all the time.
    No! YOU figure out your side of business, but my side of the deal is that 'I' want to make a profit! I mean, why should the seller drop $200k because someone else wants to make money? Grief!
    I always wondered why those guys don't put it on eBay (although the fees can be high)?

Well, in the pawn shop's defense, of course if you're selling something to them, they need to be able to make a profit - the deal is, you get a quick easy sale, and then they, with their greater exposure, will take a bit longer to re-sell, but will have to make a bit of money on top for themselves, or of course there is no point them taking the item on. If that's not to your liking, don't go to a pawn shop.
    Hmmph grumbleumble rmrmoan.. grr mmm.... you're right. I don't go to pawn shops lol I suppose they have the network/customer base to sell the thing. Oh alright then they have a point.

Still ain't gonna go.

Thatcher…grumble…economy...hmmph.
    What the market can bear...

In reality we're still hagglers, we do so with our feet and without much say, but hagglers none the less.

The flow works both ways at times - when the footfall is towards hotel rooms in holidays the market will bear a higher price (even if you won't.)

You can negotiate some real bargains off peak, so that's where you get your own back.
    The pawn shops have a lot of expense layout wise - tax, rent, rates, paye... they also need a lot of expertise. Sizing up a genuine Hendrix guitar is no mean feat - let alone putting it up for sale with any credibility.

The best place for that would have been an auction surely ? And even auction houses want a tasty commission.
    I suppose I just grimace when I pay more and don't get more. I get it, I just don't like it.
    Oh yea, I'd never want to hazard a guess at the value of a true piece of guitar history. Yup, auction would be better because the value is really just what someone would pay for it. All it takes is two nuts with unlimited funds to duke it out and shove the price through the stratosphere.
    I'm a big believer in the free market. I run my own business as well (Marquee Hire) and the reason I charge more in the Summer isn't that I hike the price up in the Summer, it's that I discount it to get the work in the winter. All it really comes down to is how much am I willing to do a job for. In Summer an extra job can be a real bitch to fit in and puts us to a lot of trouble, so no discount. In Winter I'm grateful for work so I discount it to win it.
  • Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 120Member
    edited June 20
    I've seen several episodes of pawn stars when guitars are featured and the general concensus of "the internet" is most of them are staged - If my memeory serves me correctly the Hendrix guitar was for sale on the web site of the expert who appraised it.

Good point there, Dave. I suppose they have to average the year's trade to make a crust.

Ninja - It does seem a bit fishy that something like that could come in just as they're filming, now you mention it.
    I wonder which Hendrix guitar it was? The white or the black Strats would go for far more than $600k. It is kinda hard to imagine anyone who owns a guitar previously owned by Hendrix who doesn't know a) what it might be worth and b) where to sell it to get the best price ...
    Well, Dave if I was really honest, I suppose I charge a bit more for rush job, so I guess I'm with you and the hotel trade. Dang it. That's ok. I'm willing to change my mind on things...

And being the cynic that I am, I don't trust reality tv. It comes down to money. I doubt any network is going to risk advertisers money on the antics of wannabe stars who may or may not act crazy enough for the ratings on that day. It's ok, it's entertainment. I remember the day I was shocked to learn that wrestling was scripted. My life was downhill from there ....
    I'm sure it's true that the Pawn Stars stuff is staged, and especially with the big value unusual items such as the Hendrix strat - I do like to think at least some of that program's content has an element of truth to it at least though, leave me that scrap to cling to please! :wink: As I recall, it was a white strat that came up on the program - surely not the Woodstock strat, certainly that would be pretty iconic.
    Megi said:

I do like to think at least some of that program's content has an element of truth to it at least though, leave me that scrap to cling to please! :wink:

oh alright then. You can have that :)
    Megi said:

As I recall, it was a white strat that came up on the program - surely not the Woodstock strat, certainly that would be pretty iconic.

I wonder how many guitars Jimi had?

All I know is that I'm a better guitarist than he is now.
    edited June 21

All I know is that I'm a better guitarist than he is now.

LOL