Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Herb Ellis

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,624Member
So much as I moan about my commute the single good thing about it is that each week I grab a handful of CDs from my collection that I haven't played for a while and I get to catch up on good music that I've neglected. Generally get to play about two CDs per journey, so four a day (unless it's early Beatles stuff when I can fit in more!), and I tend to listen to each one a few times to really get into the music.

Yesterday, it was the turn of Herb Ellis. A double CD entitled "Four Classic Albums". Wow, I'd forgotten how good Herb was. He was Oscar Peterson's guitar player for a long time - in a trio, with nowhere to hide and having to follow Oscar's amazing solos on every song. Herb was described by critic Scott Yanow as "an excellent bop-based guitarist with a slight country twang to his sound." If he played a bit of acoustic ragtime, too, he'd be my perfect player :-)

I'm already looking forward (*) to the next drive.

(*) Kind of

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 753Member
    I have a 50 min each way commute and Spotify makes me look forward to the drive. Tonight it will be Herb Ellis!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,707Member
    Go Herb! I have to approve of your choice there Derek. I've been listening to a spot of Jimmy Raney lately, but must admit I haven't listened to a whole lot of Herb Ellis in the past, will have to rectify that. Herb Ellis was very encouraging and supportive towards Emily Remler, of whom I'm a fan as you probably remember, and I have to say I like him for that, as well as his own great playing.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,624Member
    Yes, Jimmy Raney... I recall trying to tab out one of his solos once. I think I managed a couple of bars but it was unlike anything I'd have ever come up with.

Today's commute featured one of my favourite tenor sax players - Zoot Sims.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 464Member
    I haven't heard much Ellis, so I thought I'd change that. I found a video of him with Barney Kessel, who does some amazing rhythm work.

If I'm not mistaken it was Barney who played the lovely guitar on Julie London's "Cry Me A River". Always loved those opening chords.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,704Member
    edited May 12
    That video clip. It meanders too much for my taste - and I like bends.
    Derek_R said:

If I'm not mistaken it was Barney who played the lovely guitar on Julie London's "Cry Me A River". Always loved those opening chords.

He did indeed - in I think 1957. I did work out what he played on that one, and have occasionally performed it in my guitar-vocal/bass duo.

Derek_R said:

Yes, Jimmy Raney... I recall trying to tab out one of his solos once. I think I managed a couple of bars but it was unlike anything I'd have ever come up with.

Today's commute featured one of my favourite tenor sax players - Zoot Sims.

Another one I should do a bit of listening to. Like you, I do find jazz can be good car music Derek. :)

Yes, but it all depends on my mood, Megi. Last week I was most definitely in an up-town blues mood - Hollywood Fats and T-Bone Walker and the like, the week before it was Beatles, prior to that Tom Waits, and before that it was Little Feat.

Just reading back that last paragraph I realise that I have superb taste :-) And also that my music collection appears to stop around 1978.

I like bends.

After 41 years I've just started actively practicing bends. Alas, I've discovered that my ears aren't good enough to nail the intonation to my liking, so I might go back to just a bit of vibrato instead :-)
    Bends were introduced to make cheap guitars sound good.
    ... I made that one up.
    My bends make good guitar sound cheap.
    Derek_R said:

I like bends.

After 41 years I've just started actively practicing bends. Alas, I've discovered that my ears aren't good enough to nail the intonation to my liking, so I might go back to just a bit of vibrato instead :-)
    If you've got the ears to hear that the intonation is out, then you're good enough to get it right as well Derek. It's the people who can't hear when it's wrong that have the real problems. :D
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 464Member
    I thought Radiohead made up The Bends?