Stevie Ray Vaughan (astonishing)

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member

I've never seen this before so excuse me for posting it.

Comments

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 517Member
    Austin City Limits is a great show. I've seen some amazing acts on that programme.
    But yea, SRV is in a league of his own. Present tense. His music is still with us. I'd like to have on ounce of his cool factor.
    This clip still gives me goosebumps. It's really jaw dropping and even though it's not the music per se that is amazing here, it shows his amazing professionalism.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,629Member
    I broke a string the other day, but alas had to finish the song and then change guitars on account of having no roadie or guitar tech :-( But yes, that was pretty cool.

And though I love SRV and have many CDs and an old VHS video I must say I still prefer the way his brother plays. We were talking about this only last weekend - and came up with the analogy that it's like BB King versus Buddy Guy. You can love them both, but one will move you more than the other.

But we also agreed, that we probably prefer the slow not-many-notes players because that's all we can actually manage ourselves!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    Crikey. That was like a magic show. You blink and his guitar's changed colour.

What a cool COOL guy ! Surely due a renaissance ???
    Derek_R said:

I broke a string the other day, but alas had to finish the song and then change guitars on account of having no roadie or guitar tech :-( But yes, that was pretty cool.

Haha yea, I have that problem too. The kids don't seem keen to lean, for some reason.
    Derek_R said:

And though I love SRV and have many CDs and an old VHS video I must say I still prefer the way his brother plays. We were talking about this only last weekend - and came up with the analogy that it's like BB King versus Buddy Guy. You can love them both, but one will move you more than the other.

Interesting... SRV makes my spine tingle. For me he moves me like no other player.

When I starting to play, I got a copy of Guitarist magazine and started learning a tune. I got it up to about 100bpm I thought I had it down, so I went to the library to see if I could get the original. I found it - I'd never heard of SRV at that point - put in the tape, waited...waited... and out exploded a gazillion notes at 160bpm. I listened to the entire tune with my mouth open. Gobsmacked didn't even come close! The tune was Scuttle Buttin' and I'm still trying to get it right, thirty-odd years later!
    Derek_R said:

But we also agreed, that we probably prefer the slow not-many-notes players because that's all we can actually manage ourselves!

Very true! Jealous bunch we are.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    It's totally zinging !!!

The problem is - I missed (I don't know how) this guy the first time around. All I've seen is SRV imitators, never the real thing ... so it's got old before I've ever seen it for real.

The sign of a true legend has to be redefined. It's someone who gets imitated BEFORE you've even seem them !

Message for Derek - 100 Blues Lessons might be right up your street (Hal Leonard)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    I too came late to hearing and appreciating SRV. Good link Kevin. :smile:

I've had a live video of SRV doing a slightly longer version on my hard drive for a few years and I still find it astonishing. The 11 minutes just flash by and the extra time gives him the chance to wring so many variations out of the music and gives a great chance for changes in pace. It also gives him the chance to show how well he could play slowly too - the overall pace seems a bit less frantic but it's none the worse for that I feel.

Both live performances certainly show how to make a cover version your own!

Gulp.

I bet Jenny loved it.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,629Member
    IIRC correctly Rude Mood was the first thing I heard by SRV. It may well have been this very clip. He was definitely sat down on a BBC/ITV documentary talking and then suddenly... wow! I recall I used to play Bert Weedon's Guitar Boogie Shuffle and suddenly here's Stevie Ray Vaughan playing the same riff but twisted inside out, at about five times the pace, with overdrive...