acoustic effects pedal

hi, guys
i am after a acoustic effects pedal, just one pedal that would make my strat sound like a acoustic guitar when i am playing chords, i am not after a lots of other effects, just a acoustic guitar sound in one pedal, can you guys help,

thanks again for your time,
bluesfloyd

Comments

• DaveBassDaveBass Posts: 3,301Member
    I used to play in a band where the guitarist had such a pedal. I think it was a Boss AC-3 pedal and he used it with a Yamaha Pacifica.
    https://boss.info/us/products/ac-3/
    (Too many knobs to twiddle perhaps?)
    As I recall, he mainly used it to prop up the front of his amp!
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,779Member
    Acoustic effects pedal.

No.

Just No.
    edited April 30
    Better just use a clean electric sound and thicken the tone a bit - it couldn't sound any worse.
    edited April 30
    To be fair though - I've yet to hear a real acoustic sound any good amplified in a band setting either. The best I've heard on a stage is an SM57 mic over the soundhole through a desk controlled by a good sound engineer. The only other stage noise was vocals. I think I'd take an electric guitar to a band gig. An acoustic doesn't sound like an acoustic anyway - so why bother ?

See what I mean ?
  • DaveBassDaveBass Posts: 3,301Member
    Far as I can tell by listening to the demo (and others on utube), the AC3 doesn't do anything that can't be accomplished by EQ (tone controls). Basically it can cut the bass and boost the treble (electric guitars are way too bassy compared to acoustics) and maybe add a bit of a bump in the middle to simulate the resonance of the body cavity and sound hole.

But a major difference between acoustic and electric guitars is their sustain. Electric guitars are built of solid, inert material that's not meant to vibrate; this gives them good sustain. Acoustic guitars on the other hand are built of thin, light material that's intended to vibrate and thus radiate acoustic energy (sound waves) as efficiently as possible. This removal of energy from the vibrating strings causes the vibrations to die away, giving less sustain. In other words, if you strike a chord on an electric it goes on for a long time, but on an acoustic it dies away quicker.

To simulate this, one could use an electronic expander -- the opposite of a compressor. While a compressor reduces the dynamic range of a signal, an expander increases it. Here it would simulate the quicker decay of the notes, by making the quiet parts quieter. But I don't think the AC3 does this, listening to the demos.

Another difference is that plectrum sounds are quite noticeable on acoustic guitars and contribute to the attack of the sound. Again this could be simulated, by detecting the start of a note and emphasising it for a few milliseconds; an expander would do this job.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    I have a Mooer Acoustikar. The best I can say for it is that it's OK. I'd use it for a pub gig if I couldn't be bothered to take an acoustic rig as well, because a lot of punters wouldn't know the difference, but not in my wildest dreams does it actually make and SG sound like an acoustic guitar
  • bluesfloydbluesfloyd Posts: 18Member

I have a Mooer Acoustikar. The best I can say for it is that it's OK. I'd use it for a pub gig if I couldn't be bothered to take an acoustic rig as well, because a lot of punters wouldn't know the difference, but not in my wildest dreams does it actually make and SG sound like an acoustic guitar

hi, Screaming Dave
    your Mooer Acoustikar pedal, does it say on the pedal/ or do you know where the pedals was made ? UK yes/no ?

thanks for your time,
    bluesfloyd,

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member

hi, Screaming Dave
    your Mooer Acoustikar pedal, does it say on the pedal/ or do you know where the pedals was made ? UK yes/no ?

thanks for your time,
    bluesfloyd,

I'm pretty sure all the Mooer pedals are made in China.