Besame mucho

I haven't posted in a while here as I've been away working the axe. So here's last night's short recording of Besame mucho. It's a tune I love working with. As always, scores and tabs can be found from my website. Enjoy!

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,779Member
    Mucho hermosa !
    What recording set-up are you using there, Mark ?
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,214Member
    Lovely tone and such expressive playing again! :smile:

Ow! Don't classical guitars have a wide neck!
  • MarkbluesMarkblues Posts: 74Member
    Mark, yes they have quite a wide neck but once you get used to it you embrace it.

Kevin, thanks. I Use 2 x NT5 mics at distance and blend them in. I don't go for this method of pointing towards the 12th fret normally. Instead both pointing inwards to the body of the guitar.
    edited May 1
    As it happens I have a pair of Rhodes NTS already - are they the same thing ? What camera/mixing/editing equipment do you use ? How do you get the different camera angles ? Not three, surely ?
    Hi Kevin. I've not heard of the NTS. I'm no Mic expert but maybe we have the same mics.

For editing I simply use imovie with the video captured with my mobile Samsung. I have an additional camera AIPTEK and then do the rest with editing. Sometimes to get another angle I will play it again over the track
    Markblues said:

Mark, yes they have quite a wide neck but once you get used to it you embrace it.

I used to embrace it Mark and took classical lessons for a few years too after years of teaching myself.
    But old age and arthritic finger joints make a classical guitars wide neck and flat fretboard a painful experience now! So I just need to be positive and know that I did have a go at it ... once upon a time. There was an acoustic soundboard forum survey a while back on finger length and hand-span - turns out I'm right at the lower end for reach - so that doesn't help either.
    In a recent shopping trip I tried two Guilds of very similar proportions - one was so much more comfortable for my fretting hand - I found it was 12" radius fretboard v 16" on the other. Huge difference in feel. I notice Cordoba use 16" in their "fusion" classical guitars in a bid to attract steel string players and even that isn't enough for me!
    Markblues said:

I Use 2 x NT5 mics at distance and blend them in. I don't go for this method of pointing towards the 12th fret normally. Instead both pointing inwards to the body of the guitar.

Interesting that is!
    I too have found the 12th fret route less than satisfactory and have ended up with a cardioid pointing there and a condenser pointing at the bridge - much improved results.

I must give your idea a try too. It certainly gives you excellent results.

I have found for me that having one of the microphones with a condenser capsule gives a much fuller picture of the overall sound from the different parts of the guitar.
    edited May 2
    What do you use in terms of cameras and production towards finished video ?

I'm feeling the urge to do some YouTube again - but this time with better quality.
    Hi guys. Mark have you tried the Yamaha NTX range? They have much narrower neck and so the strings are closer together. I've used this a lot in the past.

Kevin, i have a galaxy note 5, that doesn't explode and takes pretty good video. Then i simply import into iMovie and edit from there. There are much better real cameras out there of course. But I think for this purpose mobile phones are perfectly acceptable. This promo video below was entirely done from my mobile phone and the help of a friend holding it. Check it out....
    Thanks. How are you getting the audio down ?
    Cubase through a UR22 and the 2 x NT5s
    Plug and play
    I don't see any mics in the church. Is this overdubbed ?
    The NTX range. Yes. A very precise and easy neck. I like them as an electro-acoustic option.
    Yes that one is. It's simply a promo vid:)