Still Going Strong

Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,636Member
Those Strats are built to last! Interesting that in all these years I still never learned a second chord shape :-)

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,805Member
    You would have shuddered at the price in the '80s but that guitar is probably the best deal you ever did. It will be worth a lot more now.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,636Member
    I think I worked it out once (by looking at used prices) that it had only gone up in line with inflation.
    But it has served you well and as a forever guitar saved you money by preventing you from buying others.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 600Member
    There's a lot to be said for that kind of contentment. Congrats Derek. You make a nice couple!
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,226Member
    Faithful long term commitment - well done Derek!

I've never managed that with guitars. 7 years with an electric is about tops with me and I've not been playing acoustic long enough to clock up many years with one.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,519Member, Moderator
    edited April 12

imageimage

You are ahead of me, Derek, as I have had my Strat since 1988.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 813Member
    I bought my strat second hand about 1981, I paid £175 cash (it was a hard tail 1976 CBS era big headstock etc).
    It's probably my most played guitar in all those years and has become something of a fretless wonder and needs a refret to suit most people. It was a purchase that relied on an overdraft at the time but it's well worth it and would probably be worth a grand more than I paid for it all those years ago. Somehow you just know when it's agood un.
    Seems like those Strats create a bit of loyalty! Not good for guitar sellers / manufacturers, but great for owners.
    edited April 15
    In 1988 I passed up an opportunity to trade my Weston Concorde for a 78 Strat. I've been kicking myself ever since. But the Westone was an 18th birthday present so I don't feel too bad about it really. I still have it and recently put Alexander Priboras pickups in it which sound very vintagey. They'll stay until I put something else in which probably won't be long!

Westone Concord
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    It's funny how things come around. Back in the day the CBS era big headstock Strats were considered to be all unplayable dogs of guitars: the ultimate symbol of corporate America's greed, but in the end the players make their choices and common sense prevails where necessary. 80s Les Pauls were tarred with the same brush, but mine was a lovely guitar (although that doesn't mean there weren't bad 'uns). In the end all you can do is go with your own instinct, I guess.
    That explains why people don't like 80s Les Pauls. I wouldn't want any guitar that had been brushed with tar.
    Lester said:

imageimage

You are ahead of me, Derek, as I have had my Strat since 1988.

Another lovely pair. I love Mesa Boogie combos.

I've never owned a Strat. The closest I've come to any Fender is a Squier Tele, but that is not with me any more.

That explains why people don't like 80s Les Pauls. I wouldn't want any guitar that had been brushed with tar.

:lol:
    I was a huge Strat fan for many years, until I went over to the dark side and took up with SGs

Back in the day the CBS era big headstock Strats were considered to be all unplayable dogs of guitars

Yep, I've read many a time about how bad my guitar is meant to be. But it's still way better than I'll ever be. I suspect if I was a better player I might have changed it, but it's always been good enough for me. On the neck pick-up it's the nicest sounding electric I've played.

I've fooled with "second" guitars on-and off as back-up to the Strat. I had a Yamaha Pacifica once that was the easiest electric I ever had to play - I could play runs on that guitar that I could never play on any other - but I sold it because the sound wasn't clean enough. I tried a Gretsch but the feedback on stage was horrendous. Had a lovely Hohner GT2 headless which was a joy to play but a pain to set-up and needed special strings. Ended up with a Mexican Tele. But despite all this I think I'll soon be back where I started with my "second" guitar too - a 1986 Tokai Telecaster, bought new in '86, which of course I still have. It needs a refret, but once that's done it'll be back on stage alongside it's old partner the 79 Strat.

Well, that's my point exactly. I think it's often the people who don't have these guitars that slag them off, in the same way that I'll call a BMW Z3 a "hairdresser's car". It's only because I'll never afford one, so I make myself feel better about it by making out I don't want one.

Well, that's my point exactly. I think it's often the people who don't have these guitars that slag them off, in the same way that I'll call a BMW Z3 a "hairdresser's car". It's only because I'll never afford one, so I make myself feel better about it by making out I don't want one.

Lol well if it makes you feel better, I know someone (who will remain nameless) who could have afforded any car they wanted, and paid cash for it, but ended up with a Ford because they didn't want the pretence of driving a flash car. They are my hero in so many ways!
    Hang on to your values so when your budget allows, you can still hang on to them.
  • DaveBassDaveBass Posts: 3,302Member
    I still have the Fender Jazz bass I bought circa 1980, after my previous one was stolen.

A guitar is like a woman. (Not just the shapely curves and ... no, I'd better stop there.) A guitar is like a woman: find yourself a good one, and stick with her.

Dave
    I agree with that, but change all the bits on it like Nick does.
    I'm the same with most things - I've had my motorbike for 16 years, and each car tends to be kept for a decade. Computers, phones, suits... if it still does what it's designed for then why change? I'm a shop keeper's nightmare.
    edited April 16
    Double breasted with a brick phone at a wedding.

Cool.
    Single-handedly trying to save the world's resources. Alas, I think I'm alone in this regard. Perhaps I'll say f#@k it one of these days and join the don't-give-a-damn brigade. They seem to be having more fun.
    Yeah. Playing dominoes, brag and Buddy Holly hits on a knackered old piano in a care home whilst shuffling around in poop encrusted pants.

You're on the slippery slope, Del Boy !
    edited April 16
    I meant that in the most matey way, Derek. To make you laugh ! (I know I get the mood wrong sometimes... don't mean it.)
    It's pretty close to the truth, Kevin :-) The years have rolled by rapidly recently.
    After 46 it's wahaaay ! Where the hell did that go ?

That birthday marks the monday on the second week of your Summer holidays.

I agree with that, but change all the bits on it like Nick does.

Haha... I'm not a surgeon. I'm not sure a router and sandpaper would work so well in that case...