Ladder Bracing vs X Bracing

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member

One sounds richer and freer when strummed. One suits flatpicking more. I can hear the difference, can you ?

Comments

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,207Member
    Proof, if it were needed, that the bracing does affect the sound of an acoustic guitar. I recall George Lowden saying the bracing can change the tone and sound of a guitar at least as much as the choice of tonewood for the top.

Difficult to say which is the better bracing for sound - just different. It's also easy to initially feel an X-braced guitar sounds better because so many guitars have this type of bracing and we're programmed to expect that sort of sound. The ladder style sound does seem to give a nod back to the sound of the older school type of guitars.

Tony Polecastro does some of the best guitar comparison videos out there. His use of the same tunes on different videos also helps in trying to assess what aspects of a guitar are ones you like.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 2,743Member
    Yes. I like Tony. I think bracing is the biggest influence on tone/projection after body shape.

I am no longer convinced about 'tone woods'.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 517Member
    I read the title and was surprised this was about acoustic guitars, not about gutter cleaning safety.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    I want to get some of those things like long bottle brushes to go in the gutter and stop the leaves clogging them up ....
    Damn - I've just re-fitted gutters (three stories up - off scaffolding) and did not find out about those until after the scaffolders had taken it all away.

edited April 21
    I've just read reviews on those gutter brushes. Many are good but some report issues with seeding and plants growing in the brushes ! Others report the gutters looking messy because debris accumulates on top of them. Also that they do need cleaning out periodically.

Maybe it was a good thing not fitting them.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 758Member
    Sounds like it's just as easy to clean the gutters out every so often. Bum! It sounded like such a good idea

I've just read reviews on those gutter brushes. Many are good but some report issues with seeding and plants growing in the brushes ! Others report the gutters looking messy because debris accumulates on top of them. Also that they do need cleaning out periodically.

Maybe it was a good thing not fitting them.

I think I know why my tone is sounding muffled and a bit mossy. Acoustic gutter is so much more difficult than electric gutter.
    It depends on the height of your house and the surrounding trees, Dave.

+ 1 Nick.
    Hehe
    Another thread successfully hijacked. My work is complete!

Ahem, sorry about that....